ERROR after installing Icecast 2, Ezstream, and Avconv : DBus error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files

OSMC was working fine before, then I followed these steps exactly - trying to stream audio to a Sonos One speaker. When I restarted, my Pi booted up and then repeatedly flashed a sad face. Log files here: https://paste.osmc.tv/ahitudavev

Raspberry Pi 3B, connected to only a USB Keyboard and plugged into a projector via HDMI. Using the raspberry pi micro usb power adapter that came with it.

Welcome to the forum.

Please provide full logs, rather than a small snippet. Since you should be familiar with the command line, if you were able to follow the instructions in the link, please run grab-logs -A (with a big A) and post the URL it returns.

Thanks. https://paste.osmc.tv/ahitudavev . Also editing the original post with that.

The same dbus error message also appears on my system – but Kodi continues to run on my box, while it crashes on yours.

The first thing I’d try would be to run Kodi with a default configuration. Enter the following commands with an SSH connection.

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bak
systemctl start mediacenter

If needed, you can restore the original configuration:

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bk2
mv ~/kodi.bak ~/.kodi
systemctl start mediacenter

If your original setup was restored as expected and you want get rid of the unneeded clean install you can delete that with the following command.

rm -r ~/kodi.bk2

If that doesn’t make a difference, try to reinstall Kodi:

sudo apt-get install rbp2-mediacenter-osmc

Just to be on the same side, then reboot.

Thanks for these steps. I followed the steps to run Kodi with default configuration. After doing that, got these logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/avibelahef . I restarted my Pi with sudo shutdown -r now and still got the flashing sad face.

I left the backup kodi.bak file as-is.

Then tried reinstalling Kodi and got this:

sudo apt-get install rbp2-mediacenter-osmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
rbp2-mediacenter-osmc is already the newest version (18.7.1-2).
rbp2-mediacenter-osmc set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 28 not upgraded.

restarted the Pi again with sudo shutdown -r now. When it rebooted, it still showed the flashing sad face.

Logs after this: https://paste.osmc.tv/okumaboxaz

Well really not clear what is going wrong. First step could be to reverse the steps you have done to make icecast working. Try to rename the asoundrc.
mv .asoundrc .asoundrc.bak and reboot

Aplogies. The command to reinstall Kodi is:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp2-mediacenter-osmc

At least you have been able to eliminate the Kodi configuration as being the source of the error. You still need to reinstall Kodi.

Thanks. I successfully reinstalled Kodi and restarted:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp2-mediacenter-osmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 28 not upgraded.
Need to get 95.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.fau.de/osmc/osmc/apt stretch/main armhf rbp2-mediacenter-osmc armhf 18.7.1-2 [95.4 MB]
Fetched 95.4 MB in 23s (3,981 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 36215 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../rbp2-mediacenter-osmc_18.7.1-2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking rbp2-mediacenter-osmc (18.7.1-2) over (18.7.1-2) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60) ...
Setting up rbp2-mediacenter-osmc (18.7.1-2) ...
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo shutdown -r now

when it rebooted, I got the sad face again.

Logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/afocozosik

You’ve eliminated the Kodi configuration and the Kodi application itself. Since you say that the error began to occur after you installed three packages: icecast2, ezstream and libav-tools, then it’s possibly down to one of those packages or a file-system corruption while they were being installed. It might also be one of the configuration steps suggested in the article, which you need to remove. I’d also suggest that you remove the three packages, starting with libav-tools and see if that makes a difference.

sudo apt-get purge <package-name>

The article is pretty old (2016-ish) and mentions installing libav-tools to get avconv, which is similar to ffmpeg. In fact, ffmpeg is available on the Debian repository, so perhaps libav-tools isn’t even necessary.

If none of this works, you’re probably looking at a reinstall, ideally on a new SD card, since the current one could be broken.

Well, I removed libav-tools and restarted,

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get purge libav-tools
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
ffmpeg libass5 libavc1394-0 libavdevice57 libavfilter6 libavformat57
libbluray1 libbs2b0 libcaca0 libcdio-cdda1 libcdio-paranoia1 libchromaprint1
libdc1394-22 libebur128-1 libegl1-mesa libfftw3-double3 libflite1 libgbm1
libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa libgme0 libiec61883-0 libmpg123-0
libopenal-data libopenal1 libopencv-core2.4v5 libopencv-imgproc2.4v5
libopenmpt0 libpgm-5.2-0 libpostproc54 libraw1394-11 librubberband2
libsdl2-2.0-0 libslang2 libsndio6.1 libsodium18 libssh-gcrypt-4 libswscale4
libusb-1.0-0 libwayland-client0 libwayland-cursor0 libwayland-egl1-mesa
libwayland-server0 libxcb-dri2-0 libxcb-dri3-0 libxcb-glx0 libxcb-present0
libxcb-shape0 libxcb-sync1 libxcb-xfixes0 libxcursor1 libxdamage1
libxinerama1 libxrandr2 libxshmfence1 libxss1 libxv1 libxxf86vm1 libzmq5
Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libav-tools*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 28 not upgraded.
After this operation, 114 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database … 36215 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libav-tools (7:3.2.15-0+deb9u1) …
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo shutdown -r now

got the sad face again, and now I can’t even ssh into osmc anymore, which was unexpected. I’ll try a fresh install of OSMC. Now I’ll just need to figure out another method to stream audio…

Which indicates that your SD Card is failing. Either install on a new SD Card or test with hwtest2

As written I doubt the icecast is what caused your issue. More likely the SD Card failure.

Thanks. Actually, I restarted Terminal on my Mac and was able to ssh into OSMC again - I think it just stopped letting me connect to ANYTHING after I got 3 failed password attempts earlier. Will try removing the other packages first.

okay, I was able to get OSMC to boot (no more sad face) by undoing the configuration steps under the ** Alsa loopback** section, namely

rm ~/.asoundrc

and

pico /etc/modules

and then deleting the line “snd-aloop”

so fortunately I didn’t have to reinstall OSMC. Now to find another method to stream audio to my Sonos One speaker…

Good news.

Just as a FYI, it seems that libav-tools has been omitted from Debian Buster, so its days were numbered anyway.

You’ll probably also want to run sudo apt-get autoremove to clean out all the packages left by libav-tools.

Unfortunately, I can’t help you with your Sonos problem.

1 Like