Error with Samba update 15 April 2016

Hi the error message asked to send the log file to the forum - where do I find this?

No need to reply I have just found out how to do this.

If that is the case either share your findings with the world to make this thread helpful or please delete the post to avoid clutter

The problem turned out to be that some Samba dependencies were missing so an apt-get -f install sorted it out.

Hi, I had the same problem after an osmc udpate but I’m not being able to solve it with apt-get -f install.

This command returns the following error:

Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded. 1 not fully installed or removed. After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used. Setting up samba (2:4.2.10+dfsg-0+deb8u2) ... Job for smbd.service failed. See 'systemctl status smbd.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details. invoke-rc.d: initscript smbd, action "start" failed. dpkg: error processing package samba (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1 Errors were encountered while processing: samba E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Then using systemctl status smbd.service:

Apr 25 09:35:07 osmcrai smbd[9587]: Starting SMB/CIFS daemon: smbd failed! Apr 25 09:35:07 osmcrai systemd[1]: smbd.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1 Apr 25 09:35:07 osmcrai systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS daemon (smbd). Apr 25 09:35:07 osmcrai systemd[1]: Unit smbd.service entered failed state.

Any help there to get it fixed?

Suggest to post grab-logs -A

Here it is:

root@osmcrai:~# grab-logs -A
Logs successfully uploaded.
Logs available at http://paste.osmc.io/ujubejivuz

Have you installed the samba server from App Store or manually? Did you changed the /etc/samba/smb.conf? Can you post it paste-log /etc/samba/smb.conf

I installed it manually.
http://paste.osmc.io/sujirikaqu :slight_smile:

Ok I would recommend to remove it
sudo apt-get remove samba
sudo mv /etc/samba /home/osmc/smb_backup

And then try to install the version from the APP Store

Ok, I’ll try and let you know.
Many thanks

Hi again,
I was able to install it again but when trying to start the service it returns the following:

root@osmcrai:~# service samba restart Job for samba.service failed. See 'systemctl status samba.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.

` samba.service - Samba Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/samba.service; enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2016-04-25 20:30:13 CEST; 1min 6s ago
Process: 1898 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/samba.distributed start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 1898 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Apr 25 20:30:11 osmcrai samba.distributed[1898]: Starting nmbd (via systemctl): nmbd.service.
Apr 25 20:30:13 osmcrai samba.distributed[1898]: Starting smbd (via systemctl): smbd.serviceJob for smbd.service failed. See ‘systemctl status smbd.service’ and ‘journalctl -xn’ for details.
Apr 25 20:30:13 osmcrai samba.distributed[1898]: failed!
Apr 25 20:30:13 osmcrai systemd[1]: samba.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 25 20:30:13 osmcrai systemd[1]: Failed to start Samba Server.
Apr 25 20:30:13 osmcrai systemd[1]: Unit samba.service entered failed state.
`

After some removals and installations it is working again.
I do not understand what was the problem but I guess something was misconfigured during the update.

Thanks for your help. :slight_smile: