Excessive video noise when viewing 1080P MKV files

Hi all,

I’ve noticed an issue when viewing 1080P MKV files on the Vero 4K. There appears to be excessive video noise in the picture, like the image has been overprocessed/oversharpened. These are uncompressed MKV files produced using MakeMKV and stored on a Synology NAS.

For info my video chain is : Vero 4k+>Denon X3600 amp>Optoma UHD51 Projector.

The issues do not appear when watching the original disc in my bluray player. In this case the video chain is : Panasonic DP-UB820>Denon X3600 amp>Optoma UHD51 Projector.

I can attach screenshots showing examples from the same scene played on the bluray player and Vero 4K+.

What information would I need to provide to start to troubleshoot this issue ?

Cheers

For further info, the video noise is not present when watching the same MKV on both my Windows 10 laptop and 2017 iMac using VLC media player.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

1 Like

Many thanks Tom. I won’t be able to upload the logs until later but thanks for your help in the meantime.

1 Like

That could be useful. Also, can you post a screenshot made directly from Vero (kodi-send --action=TakeScreenshot)

1 Like

These are the screenshots, admittedly from my phone but they illustrate the issue.

First one is from the bluray player, second one is from the MKV playing on the Vero 4k+

I’ll post a screenshot directly from the Vero 4k+ later.

Hopefully you can see that the first image looks quite natural and “film like”. The second image from the Vero 4k+ looks very noisy and processed.

Ouch! If you have a minute, can you also plug the Vero direct to the Optoma and see what that’s like?

1 Like

I’ll give it a go @grahamh. It’ll be a bit tricky as they’re in different parts of our cinema room but I should be able to find some long cables.

Sounds like I’m in for a busy evening :slight_smile:

Wow – that’s certainly a difference.

Well, having done some more testing it looks like the problem was being caused by the sharpness setting on my projector being set WAY too high. I’ve reduced it and the overprocessed look has pretty much disappeared. I can’t believe I never noticed it before.

Weird as I didn’t have a problem with 4K MKVs, only 1080P ones.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who posted and sorry for taking up your time with an issue that wasn’t Vero related :frowning:

Thanks for a great product and keep up the good work !

3 Likes

Not a problem, glad this is solved.

Any issues, give us a shout.

1 Like