Failed to start udev and Load Kernel Modules

After running the June update I can’t boot anymore. The start up reaches the OSMC screen and the top I see “2 of 2” jobs running.

A start job is running for udev. Wait for complete Device Initialization (xxmin / 3 min)
A start job is running for Load Kernel Modules (xx min / no limit)

After 3 minutes the udev start job fails, while the Kernel Modules has been running for over an hour.

I’ve seen the udev message before, but it’s always started up within 3 minutes. The Load Kernel message is a new one.

And ideas?

Can you confirm which device you are running on?

Vero 2

It seems that something is badly broken on my Vero 2. After update I can’t boot anymore. Error messages:

Failed to start udev Wait for complete device initialization
A start job is running for Load Kernel Modules (Currently 8 min / no limit)

I guess I’ll need to install it all over. I can’t ssh to Vero, so there’s not much I can do.

You can boot in to the recovery mode and downgrade; but until you know for sure what the issue is I don’t recommend this.

Sam

I’m having the same problem here.

Hello

What does same problem refer to?
I’d advise you start a new thread for any update issues. The announcement thread isn’t well suited for troubleshooting.

Sam

Sorry. On a mobile device the forum is a little confusing.

Thanks for confirming, I moved all the respective posts here so that Sam can followup at one place.

When did you update?

The easiest way to get back on track would be to reinstall with the latest image and update again. Let me know if updating causes problems again.

I’m trying to take backups from recovery mode before reinstalling, but I can’t mount any usb-drives or connect to internet. I tried “mount -a” but nothing happens.

df -l shows only
/dev/nero-nand/root
devtmpfs
tmpfs

What should I do to connect USB-drive (or internet)?

There might be limitations in recovery mode that will cause problems - and I can’t test this myself, not having access to a Vero2, but try this:

fdisk -l should give you the device name for the USB drive. It could be /dev/sda1.

Create a mount point for the USB drive:

sudo mkdir /mnt/bkup

Then try to mount the USB drive:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/bkup (use the device name from fdisk).

I didn’t get usb-drives to work, but this helped me to mount sd-card. I took backups there, so now I can reinstall OSMC. Thank you for help.

Edit: Reinstalling May-version and upgrading went fine.

I’ll try a reinstall as soon as I can find the time. The update was installed on the July 2, 2017 (around 8 pm CDT)

Was able to reinstall the software on the Vero 2 (May version) and then upgraded to the June version without any issues.

[quote=“LeRat, post:1, topic:37646”]
Me too: After running the June update on my Vero2 I can’t boot anymore. The start up reaches the OSMC screen and the top I see “2 of 2” jobs running.

A start job is running for udev. Wait for complete Device Initialization (xxmin / 3 min)
A start job is running for Load Kernel Modules (xx min / 3mins --at least 45 mins)

I’ll reinstall the May version and try again
JH

Keep us posted