Failed update then black screen on reboot

Hi,

I can’t think of an obvious reason for this behaviour; beyond problematic HDMI cables.
I’d recommend re-installing OSMC as per: Reinstalling OSMC - Vero 4K - OSMC

Sam

Thanks. I have been using the 2 HDMI cables I have tried on other devices and TVs fine (as far as I know). 1 was the original from the Vero 4k and the other is a Sky branded one. I will try and reinstall the system over the weekend and let you know how that goes.

Hi. I have reinstalled OSMC as suggested but this has made no difference. When I put the USB in and turned on the power I got nothing on screen exactly like previously. I watched it for many many minutes, but nothing was on screen. I could tell it was doing something as the light on the USB was flashing away. I left it and went to bed. I came down this morning to the initial setup screen so I know it had reinstalled itself. I got through that and did a reboot, only to find the same symptoms of only a black screen and no GUI. I left it and left it and after checking back I finally had the GUI back. Something doesnt seem right about this Vero 4k box.

I tried a reboot of my other Vero 4k box and found that it reboots in seconds, which is really impressive. Also, I note that you get a splash screen that says please stand by (or words to that effect).

Where do we go from here Sam? What else can I do or does this need to be replaced as it seems to not be working as designed?

Many thanks for your support in trying to resolve this.

Just guessing here but for me the vero won’t boot up once you completely shut down if the usb hub is plugged into the vero.

The way I do it is to unplug the usb hub from the vero when booting up the vero and replug the hub once the vero is already running

Thanks for the input k2u3. I wondered if the USB had any affect on it so have been unplugging all USB devices to check, but the issue remains.

We have seen a few issues with USB-based installs that were fixed once an SD card was used.

I assume that this was connected to the same TV; using the same HDMI cable; same power supply; same USB attached peripherals and running the same version of OSMC?

We’re not aware of any issues that would cause this. If there’s a hardware issue; then the Vero wouldn’t be working at all. To me – it sounds like a software issue. I’m sure we can get to the bottom of this with more information.

If I recall correctly, this started to occur after getting a new TV? What happens if you connect the Vero to the old TV?

Can you shoot a video showing you plug the Vero in to the wall so we can see how it starts?

Sam

If you install the October version (2018.10-1); do you see a screen during installation; do reboots behave more gracefully?

You only reported these issues after an update; so this could be a regression in the latest version of OSMC.

I know this is a bit to digest but it should let us solve things quickly

Cheers

Sam

Hi

I managed to grab some time tonight to look some more at this issue. I have 2 x Vero 4k boxes, 2 x HDMI cables, 2 x Vero 4k power supplies and 2 x TVs.

So, to try and narrow down where the issue could be I tried both Vero 4k boxes on the older of the TVs. All combinations of Vero 4k box and power lead and HDMI lead works consistently. Both boxes load and reboot just fine with no issues. Both boxes are on the latest update.

Then I moved all the stuff over to the other TV (the new Toshiba 4k one) to try all the permutations again and low and behold both boxes perform the same with the very lengthy delay in getting a GUI and whilst it loads or reboots you get nothing on screen apart from messages from the TV to advise that the TV remote will now control the Vero 4k box.

It looks like all the hardware elements are working just fine and the issue isnt one of the Vero 4k boxes failing, but rather something going on between the Vero 4k box and the new Toshiba 4k LED TV.

Hopefully this effort gives you something to go on Sam? Knowing this, do you think I should try the October build? Any other suggestions to sort out the issue?

Cheers

Hi,

So you only experience issues on the new TV?
This means that you don’t have a hardware fault. It’s software related.

I’d appreciate if you could try the October version. Then we can get to the bottom of things pretty quickly

Sam

When that works (I suspect it will); don’t update, just let me know and I’ll give you further instructions to narrow a couple of things down

Cheers

Sam

Yes, it only happens on the new TV. Yes it looks to be a conflict in something rather than a hardware fault. On the other TV both boxes perform perfectly, no complaints there.

Cheers Sam, I will try that over the next few days and revert.

Before you do that, could you make sure your TV is set to handle 4k at 60Hz. There is usually a setting like HDMI mode #, UHD mode, enhanced mode or something. It may not be available on all the HDMI inputs (you are plugged into HDMI 4 atm).

Turn that on and see if you can re-boot then.

Will do grahamh, thanks for the heads up.
The TV is a 4k TV so that part is ok. Just need to check on the refresh rate. I can always drop this from within Kodi if I need to match something other than 60Hz cant I?

This has nothing to do with the desktop mode you set in Kodi. Before Kodi starts, Vero is trying to set the mode to 4k60p and it can’t. So just enable those higher refresh rate modes and it should work.

Your TV’s EDID is very weird - what model is it?

It is a Toshiba 49U5766DB - 49" LED Smart TV - 4K UltraHD.

Thanks

The manual doesn’t mention different HDMI modes, except ‘HDMI full range’, which is something different.

Try using the HDMI 3 input (which includes ARC) and post the output of
cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/edid.

If you are not familiar with the command line, you can just upload a set of logs again after making the change @grahamh suggested.

Thanks grahamh for looking in to this. I wasnt aware the different HDMIs had different functions / specifications ! You learn something new every day.

I moved the Vero 4k across to HDMI 3 as suggested and rebooted it, but no difference. I have turned on the debug logging this morning and did another reboot (still with it in HDMI 3). I didnt have the GUI before I had to leave for work, but when I get home later I will upload the logs. Lets see what they reveal.