Failed update then black screen on reboot

Sorry, I was forgetting that. Maybe boot when attached to the other TV, then plug it into the Toshiba (if that’s feasible!). Then try the steps I suggested above, ie

• restart mediacenter
  • cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config post the output
  • echo 8bitnow | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr what happens?

then post logs.

Hi Sam
Just to confirm I have now reimaged one of my boxes to the October 2018 version and tried that on the Toshiba; it appears to function exactly the same. When I plug it in I just get the black screen and CEC messages, but no GUI. Following on from previous experience the GUI should come back up later today, fingers crossed !
Do you have any other suggestions we could try to try and resolve this strange situation?
Cheers
Ben

@grahamh reckon recent staging changes here would help?

May do but they affect only 4k modes. The GUI should be set to 1080p or less during setup? If there is no SSH, this must be a problem in the early boot process, no?

@Bonjamon What happens if you start Vero while it’s not plugged into the Toshiba, then plug in (the HDMI)?

I have just shut down the Vero through the GUI. Then disconnected the power and the HDMI, then plugged the power back in. I counted to 30 seconds and then plugged the HDMI back in. I get the same balck screen and CEC message but no GUI.

Thanks

Please post debug logs for that, then.

I don’t want to derail this thread, but this exact behaviour^ is something I have been experiencing since the December update.

I haven’t seen any other behaviour, but the bit above is exactly the same.

I keep getting these failed to update messages, and then network access is zero in spite of OSMC reporting that a connection exists.

I addition, the kids have told me that they are getting random black screens flash up during movie playback, though I have not seen it myself.

Interestingly, as HDMI unplugs have been mentioned, I recently did a rewire of the whole system because I put in a new (to me) AVR. Now I don’t know if it is the Vero update (a manual search in the OSMC app says there are no new updates, although I’m still getting the update failed message) , the new (to me) AVR, or the fact that I may have switched some HDMI cables around. :frowning:

Please post a log when you get the update failed error.

OK Sam.

Out of interest, are there any updates after the December one?
Or is OSMC reporting correctly?

Nope. (At least not in a stable branch)

Yes.

1 Like

Do you need the Kodi debugging?

The children are complaining about all the text over the screen, so if it isn’t neede I will turn it back off.

You can enable debugging without the overlay, but it involves editing advancedsettings.xml

Sam

It’s OK, the kids can just deal with it. They’re spoiled with all this technology anyway.

Hopefully the failed update message will come up soon, as it has been a few days between occurrences previously.

Try checking in My OSMC -> Updates -> Check for Updates now.

https://paste.osmc.tv/voputizesi

It didn’t put up a failed message, but I did a log anyway just in case its helpful.

I’m wondering if the network issue is not a consequence of the failed update message, but the cause of it. Maybe the auto update check is throwing up the error because the network is not working for some other reason?

Looks like you’re connected over WiFi. Is that what you’d expect?

Yes.

I had it on a cable for a while, then took it off to use the cable elsewhere. There was no change in performance, so I left it on WiFi.

That was some time ago now.

I’d say let’s focus on debugging the HDMI issue first.
It could be the case that your AVR has some issues or that you need a better HDMI cable.

When you next get a black screen, can you:

• Stop the playback
  • Upload a log.

Cheers

Sam

Yeah, I’ll do this.

The AVR is a Denon AVR-2311CI, so it’s no spring chicken. I’m not aware of HDMI board issues on the model though.

OK, I think I have found the black screen issue. Just touching the OSMC box will make the screen go black, so it is either the HDMI cable, or the HDMI connector on the OSMC box. Hopefully it will be the cable.

As for the other issue, I tried doing a scan to add content and it took ages and then when i checked it had just not bothered with half of the info. Thinking the network error had appeared, I compiled a log and went to send it through OSMC to find that it wouldn’t work (more evidence of the network error), so I said save to SD without thinking about where it was going. So where does it go? Is the log lost? Or is it on the internal memory somewhere?