Files on share no longer found

I’ve been using a Vero 4K for some time and all has been okay.

Suddenly yesterday playback of a file stopped mid-playback and shares no longer found on the Vero.

My videos are stored on a TruNAS server. I can access all the files and play them from my main PC and on another Kodi player but not on the Vero.

The Vero can access the Internet and play Internet videos, so the network is okay.

I can access the files on the server from my main PC and the other Kodi player, so the server and files are okay.

So I am lost as to what is wrong on the Vero 4K. It tells me that it cannot find any SMB shares but clearly they exist and are working on the other players.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong? It is very strange that it should happen mid playback of the file. So, it had found the file and was playing it, but then lost the share.

My intention is to move to using a proper media server in the future so playing files on shares was only a temporary measure.

Logs may give us a chance to tell you what might be wrong.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

I got part way through doing that and decided to try adding another share. This time I got an error message saying something like “invalid workgroup”.

I also decided to install Kodi on my PC so that I could see the screen better (I am partially sighted). On my PC I could access the share without any issues.

I also checked on TrueNAS and the shares allow guest access.

So, my question is, where is the “workgroup” defined/setup on Kodi as I haven’t defined one on the new PC installation of Kodi. Do I need to delete the workgroup on the Vero or something?

That’s usually set under Settings -> Services -> SMB.

Now I am completed confused. In desperation I unplugged the Vero and connected it in my study. It worked fine.

But when it was in my lounge it didn’t work. So one would assume that there is a problem with my switch in the lounge, but it played Internet video without any issues. I could also ping the device without any issues. In fact it did everything except access the SMB shares.

Anyone got any words of wisdom? Surely the Vero cannot work in one place but fail in another. Can a switch work fine for all traffic but not SMB traffic? It’s a dumb switch so there is no configuration on it.

I’m totally confused!

Is there a possibility that another device on your network has the same ip address? You can also try rebooting any network devices between the NAS and Vero. Even dumb switches can screw up and need a reboot, it is not common, but I’ve seen it more than once.

Nothing with the same IP address but I think you are right. I need to power everything off and try again. I’ve never had a switch behave like this before … but I guess there is always a first time for everything!

You were almost completely correct but I think it was powerline adapter that was causing the problem although I am not sure. It could have been the switch.

Thanks everyone for the help