Film Stops Playing

As you’re using Ubuntu, I’m guessing you’re slightly familiar with the command line.

On your Ubuntu box, I’d recommend running sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install iftop. You can run then run iftop to see bandwidth use on your network card. I’d be interested to know if you’re able to push 100Mbps from the PC.

Sam

1 Like

Cheers will try iperf.
The Vero and the PC are plugged into the same router which then goes off to a switch which the server is connected to

Anything recently changed in the network setup?
Do you have an opportunity to turn everything off apart from the PC and Vero when you test? Sometimes one device can cause problems on a network.

We should be able to help you work this out.

Sam

1 Like

Thanks, I can’t think of any significant changes to the network. The connection has remained the same as before.
I’ll try turning everything else off when I test as well as doing a test with it setup at the moment.

Much appreciated. Hopefully will get to test this later tonight.

Use iperf3 instead of iperf, it’s more accurate.

Another way to test is using dd:

dd if=/path/to/file of=/dev/null status=progress

That will also give you an idea of how your network is.

1 Like

OK so I’ve run iperf3 as a server on the Ubuntu server and then as a client on the Vero
10 worker threads for 60 seconds
Hovering around 94Mbits/sec.
I’ve not tried turning anything else off on my network at this point.

Running iftop while playing Lucy on the Vero is showing its pulling around 90.1 Mbps.
There’s nothing else significant pulling data from the server.

Hi,

I would also double check with Sam & bmilham’s suggestions:

&

Did the issue start occurring after an update, either on the vero4k or the server.

How are you playing guardians back on your PC? Kodi?

Is this affecting all files or just a few?

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

Thanks Tom, just added an edit for iftop info.
I’ve not used the Vero for a bit, but that’s had some updates where as the server hasn’t.
Yeah anything I’m playing on my PC is with Kodi with the DSplayer mod.
Trying Blade Runner 2049 on the Vero now and the sound is breaking up. It’s only pulling around 60Mb from the server, so there’s something else going on with the broken up sound.

I’ve stopped the film and played it again and the sound is fine now

Hi,

Ok a few things I would try:

• Update the ubuntu server
  • restart the router and the switch
  • reset the kodi configuration in case there is an issue with the config, details here
  • I would also test with NFS to see if there is any improvement:

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

Cheers
Ubuntu server now updated to 18.04 and latest patches.
Guardians played fine for around 15 minutes.
Went back to Blade Runner 2049 and the sound was breaking up again. Stopped it started it and it started playing OK, but then the resolution dropped out, although looking at iftop on the server it still seems to be streaming it (Maybe I need to change the HDMI lead).

I think I’ll try resetting the Kodi setting first and then try the other suggestions.

1 Like

So I’ve reset the Kodi config, added one folder of films which invoices my UHDs and left it overnight. Come to it tonight to watch a film.
I turned it on and left it at the menu for about 5 minutes and the display turned off. I couldn’t get it back by pressing any buttons on the remote. I ssh’d into the Vero and restarted the mediacenter service which brought it back again.
Played a film (Early Man) which played OK, bit there was a very small do in audio very occasionally. Eventually I stopped and started the film again and it played fine for the remainder of the film.
Log file here, but as it’s not a debug log, it’s probably not that helpful.
https://paste.osmc.tv/ebepetijig
Well enable debug logging for the next time I watch a film

Thanks — will stay tuned for the debug log

Not had time to sit down and watch a film yet, however the screen went off whilst I was messing about in the menus. So I’ve changed the HDMI cable and will see how it fares with this one

Think that sounds a good idea

Watched IT tonight with no issues. So fingers crossed that the Kodi config reset and the new HDMI have fixed it

1 Like

This has started happening again, but seems to happen very soon after starting a video. Maybe 15 to 30s after a start. It seems to happen when I first switch over to using the Vero from another input. Once it’s playing it plays fine.
I’ll try and get some logs to post it to here.
I’m running on the latest August update.

Watched Deadpool 2 tonight and the issue didn’t occur but I was getting HDR banding so I’ve forced 10bit and restarted the Vero. Banding gone. Will continue to monitor the display switching off situation

The screen went off a cohort of seconds after starting 4K Game Of Thrones episode last night
https://paste.osmc.tv/hukugubexe
Not had chance to look at this yet though