Finding out what version of OSMC you are on

Finding out your Kodi version

You can find out what version of Kodi you are running under the System Info section. This is usually available via the Settings menu, but can vary if you are using a different skin.

You can also find out your Kodi version via the command line:

grep Kodi .kodi/temp/kodi.log | head -3

Finding out your OSMC version

You can find out what version of OSMC you are running via ‘My OSMC’. This can be found on the home menu if you are using the OSMC skin or the Settings menu if you are using the Confluence skin. If you are using another skin, you will be able to find ‘My OSMC’ via the Programs menu.

You can also check your OSMC version via the command line:

grep VERSION_ID /etc/os-release

Updating

You can learn more about keeping OSMC and Kodi up to date here.

Finding out your Debian version

You can also find out your Debian version via the command line

cat /etc/debian_version

[Wiki]

Using PuTTY SSH Client you should be able to see your current OSMC version and others details.

hostnamectl

mmmmmmm… it’s probably this command it’s not more avaible ?
I obtain:

root@osmc:~# grep Kodi .kodi/temp/kodi.log | head -3
grep: .kodi/temp/kodi.log: File o directory non esistente

Still exists, you for whatever reason don’t have the log file. Did Kodi start successful? Provide URL off grab-logs -A to check whats wrong.

osmc@osmc:~$ grep Kodi .kodi/temp/kodi.log | head -3
 15:25:02.915 T:1958932480  NOTICE: Starting Kodi (17.3). Platform: Linux ARM (Thumb) 32-bit
 15:25:02.915 T:1958932480  NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x32 build (version for Raspberry Pi)
 15:25:02.915 T:1958932480  NOTICE: Kodi compiled Jun  1 2017 by GCC 4.9.2 for Linux ARM (Thumb) 32-bit version 3.16.39 (200743)

mmmmmmmmmm… yeah… i have log file… it’s on:
/home/.kodi/temp

if i remember correctly…

You can try to run this command as “root” users on your setup… i have a similar troubles whit aliases…

It’s in /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/ therefore it will find it if you run the above command after you login as user osmc.

It doesn’t make sense to run this as user root. If you do so you would need to give it the full path to the log file.

yeah i know… but i don’t remember the very cause but i ever use the ssh session as “root” user…

I don’t remember the very motive i preferred this way… meanwhile i thinks i can run somethigs like this:

grep Kodi /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | head -3

Now i have turned of my pi2… tomorrow i can test it…
I can also create a simply aliases if works like i already do for “update” commands and “restart” commands :slight_smile:

Well it doesn’t make sense and you should stop doing so.

Yes that should work

Lol trust me i don’t really remember because i start to use ssh session as “root” probably for access some files that otherwise it’s not accessible from “normal” users ??

For example also when i use FTP access i use the access as root… also here i remember i start to use it for a usefull cause but i don’t remember the exact cause i do it :slight_smile:

LOL trust me, stop doing it!

2 Likes