First impressions, muddled UI and non functioning BT

Downloaded osmc-installer.exe and OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20150628.img.gz. I then proceeded to install it on my new SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC UHS-1 8GB card (that in theory can pump data at 48MB/s) using my windows laptop and then plugged in the uSDHC card into the RPi-2.

This first issue was that the installer wanted me to agree to the license terms before writing the image to the uSDHC card but it wouldn’t let me view the license terms by clicking the text that looks like a link - odd indeed! Then, as far as the installer GUI is concerned, the next and previous arrows look too much like the arrows one sees on some web page that hosts something you want to download and clicking such ‘advertising’ arrows does not result in getting the download one was looking for. I’ve always been careful of such web sites that try and confuse the user to download crap thay are not looking for so to see similar fonts/arrows on the OSMC installer was a disapointment. Since it is a windows installer, it should follow windows conventions and forward/next and back/previous buttons do not look like that one Windows or linux. The other issue is that the installer does not indicate the install will be completed when the uSDHC card is insterted into the RPi-2 and the device booted.

The second issue is that the OSMC UI style seems flawed since the general style is verticel text on the left of the screen but the My OSMC widget seems to be a circular loop which does not work well since it’s not a loop in it’s implementation and yet is not verticle text! Mind you I do like the clean fonts used in OSMC but would have prefered a confluence styled UI using these clean fonts and lines of OSMC.

Then there is the issue of wanting to set up my PS3 BT remote which just did not play well with OSMC. I couldn’t get it to work so at this point i could’t use OSMC as i couldn’t use my remote of choice.

And lastly, System settings should include wired, wirless and bluetooth settings amougst other settings since thats the logicla place for them. Such settings shouldn’t be placed in another menu elsewhere but both OSMC and OpenELEC seems to place them elsewhere and from a UI perspective, i’s just wrong…

What I was really looking for with OSMC was the ability to run linux commands by bringing up a command window within Kodi as OpenELEC does not allow such abilities. Even exiting Kodi and dropping to the base linux OS does not workc as exiting Kodi simply restarts Kodi.

Maybe OSMC is not ready for prime time, or i’m not ready for OSMC… not sure…

Thanks for reporting this bug - I’m able to reproduce it on the Windows version of the installer.

It’s not just a windows installer - it’s a cross platform installer written to run on Windows, Mac and Linux using Qt library - so much like a java application it is not going to look like a native Windows/Mac/Linux application or use native looking widgets. That’s pretty standard for cross platform apps.

PS3 remote support is problematic - it’s possible, but difficult to get working properly - as far as I know none of the OSMC devs has a PS3 remote to test with which makes it rather difficult to work on this. Remote support is challenging in general because there are hundreds (probably thousands) of different remotes out there all requiring different configurations to get them working, and it’s close to impossible to do so without either having such a remote directly on hand, or having a tech savy linux user who has one and is willing to put in the time to help figure out how to do it and help test it so we can add support for that remote to the base install of OSMC.

And unavoidable.

Kodi doesn’t make it possible for an addon to insert itself into the System menu in the way that you desire - we would like to put it there, you would like it to be there, but it’s not possible to put it there. Nothing we can do about it at the moment unless the Kodi developers add additional functionality in Kodi to make this possible. As you note, OpenElec also has to do the same thing.

While it’s theoretically possible to achieve a full linux command prompt in a GUI window in Kodi I’m not aware of any attempts to do so - and I question the usefulness of doing this when the majority of users are using Kodi for a “10 foot” TV watching experience with a remote control not as a Linux workstation with a keyboard…You’re much better off simply connecting via SSH from the comfort of a laptop.

Unless you press ESC, as is documented in the wiki:

There are actually three ways to get to a local console in OSMC in addition to connecting remotely via SSH, so access to a command prompt in OSMC is well covered.

The MyOSMC Settings addon was created well before the rest of the skin, which is why it has a different structure. Eventually these two things will be brought into line, I expect.

Also, these settings cannot be included in the regular Kodi settings area because that is controlled by Kodi and the skin. Forking Kodi is more work than this is worth and people can (and do) change the skin so any settings wired in there would be lost to them.

You have a Windows laptop. Why not just use Putty and open an SSH session?

If you cant use SSH, should you really be messing around in a terminal?

I’ll look at that. It works for me with Firefox.

The installer is cross-platform, and this is the first time I’ve heard someone make this claim. We are however reworking the installer’s look and feel.

What would you like it to say instead? Every OS (Raspbian) for example, has some initial setup that must be done on the card on first boot.

If you start a new thread with some logs, I am sure we can see why. I think you must manually select ‘Connect without pairing’.

OK, but you realise every skin developer would then need to implement window layouts for the OSMC or OE settings accordingly? So Confluence, Amber, Bello, Conq, Black Glass Nova… you get the idea.

Did you press ESC after exiting? You should then be able to log in. This is outlined in our Wiki. It does not make sense to provide a command line interface within Kodi. Many prefer SSH anyway as it is more convenient than hooking up a keyboard.

Seeing as most of your issues were with the installer, which is a mere vehicle for installing OSMC, I’d suggest the latter. If you do some further reading of the Wiki, start threads where you have issues (i.e. BT), I am sure you’ll find it better.

S