First power-on: Vero2 box shows MXQ logo, stuck there

Hi all.

I’ve recently bought a Vero2 box(*) but when I powered it on it only showed an MXQ logo on the HDMI display. It’s stuck there although the box reboots restarts when I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete. What problem is it exactly and how do I fix it?

I thought the embedded flash was unprogrammed so I wondered how I could shove a Vero2 disk image into it…

EDIT: I have to retract the solution unfortunately. Oddly enough, the “recovery” procedure seems to work until the device is rebooted. After formatting the device, the recovery procedure successfully installs the system files and OSMC appears normally. It is when I reboot the device that I get to a black screen, nothing else. I’ve left it so more than 5 minutes, nothing happened.

All I could do was unplug the power cord and plug it back in, only to see the device dropped to a debug shell after saying /dev/vero-nand/root doesn’t exist (“No such file or directory”). Indeed there’s no /dev/vero-nand device node in the /dev tree.

Eventually I cannot re-install the device nor make it work permanently.

__

(*) Actually I have had the purchase manager of my company buy a batch of Vero2 boxes, amongst them the one I’m talking about.

You don’t get it: the Vero2 box does NOT boot, it’s stuck after 2-3 seconds on a graphical logo showing «MXQ». There’s no reaching Kodi nor Linux booting. It doesn’t even boot on the SD card (which I’ve tested with another box).

Sorry, that was the wrong article. It is this one that shows you how to reinstall OSMC.

Specifically see the bit about the toothpick to force it to read the SD card at the end of the article.

1 Like

Ah, ok. No worries. I’ll try force-booting on the SD card with the toothpick trick.

EDIT: Bingo! The recovery procedure worked like a charm. So I guess my initial assumption was correct: the board was not installed and formatted. Now it works a treat. Glad I learnt something new today!

Someone reported this once, but we found out they were just trying to load a generic S805 board
After the initial order, we started getting our devices preflashed in the factory. I wonder if they flashed the wrong image

I spoke too early. The flashing procedure didn’t stand another reboot. After rebooting, the board now goes until attempting to load the root filesystem. After a while (like 30 seconds) it halts and drops to a busybox shell saying there’s no such file or directory: /dev/vero-nand/blah. When I inspect the /dev tree, indeed I cannot find any driver node named “vero-nand”.

I recall from Olimex FAQ that some of their boards might experience troubles loading Debian on the embedded flash memory and they advise to load an Android image then the Debian image. Is it the same kind of issue?

@Alesh, where did you get your Vero 2? Used? Possibly you got a defective one that someone dumped on you.

I got it from the same location as all the others, via OSMC web site. Actually I didn’t buy them myself but sent the web link to the purchase manager. (Initial post updated accordingly.)

But you write “I’ve recently bought a Vero2 box”. AFAIK the Vero2 is sold out since December 2016 so therefore I am suprized.

They were bought around that period IIRC. (Well, it all depends what one means by “recently”, I admit.)

As you say “they”, did you buy multiple ones and only one of them is not working?

It looks like my new issue resembles what doogdeb described in his post. [Except that I did not wait as much as 30 seconds before plugging the power cord back in.] See my updated first post.

@mcobit:
Yes, I had bought a batch of them (10 items IIRC) but only one seems non functional so far.

Try flash it again as suggested above, and then paste the output of debug logs on full boot. If you continue to have problems please email sam@osmc.tv with your order # so I can look in to this further for you.

Sam

I fear it can’t be done since (if I remember correctly) I need to reboot the thing before I can get the logs, right? The thing doesn’t survive the first reboot so — unless I missed something — the logs cannot be retrieved, I’m afraid.