Fix minor typo within advancedsettings.xml

Currently in OSMC Decemberr 2021 release, the default /usr/share/kodi/system/advancedsettings.xml contains a minor typo reported by kodi.log

2021-12-27 12:53:56.017 T:7722  WARNING <CSettingsManager>: missing version attribute

And indeed it should read

<advancedsettings version="1.0">

to avoid this warning.

Regards, Michael

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed with the following commit:

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Run the following command to add the staging repository:
    echo 'deb http://apt.osmc.tv buster-devel main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list
  3. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  4. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you remove /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list after updating.

I’d also recommend you deactivate the staging repository. You can do so with the following command:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list.

Please note that we will automatically disable this update channel after 14 days on your device in case you forget to do so to ensure that your system reverts to the stable update channel.

Thanks for working on that typo. But it is not fixed. I followed your instructions, no error messages, but /usr/share/kodi/system/advancedsettings.xml was not updated - it’s still from 2021-12-21.

Even worse: Neither IR nor bluetooth now work. I’m unable to register rc6 protocol by ir-keytable -p rc-6.

rc_core: Loaded IR protocol module ir-rc6-decoder, but protocol rc-6 still not available

And my harmony hub cannot connect any more (but that might be an independant issue) using bluetooth

Bluetooth: hci0: command 0x0408 tx timeout

The only available protocol is lirc. I can add mce_kbd, but not rc-6.

Did that update change something else? Howto revert?

Regards, Michael

Rebooting a second time did resolve my bluetooth problem.

But my IR problem is still there.
dmesg tells me:

[   17.536962] rc_core: Loaded IR protocol module ir-rc6-decoder, but protocol rc-6 still not available
[   59.823012] rc rc0: two consecutive events of type space

Your suggested fix did not provide a new kernel - thus I’ve no idea why rc-6 now is failing.

Regards, Michael

Additional info: Regarding bluetooth I do believe that due to bad placement of my harmony on top of a metal case its signal is partly absorbed - It’s now lifted a little bit improving RSSI value from -24 to -14.

Don’t know if related to your changes - I see the following error messages from systemctl start mediacenter:

Dez 30 10:16:14 imurr9 mediacenter[683]: Mesa warning: failed to remap glEGLImageTargetTexStorageEXT
Dez 30 10:16:14 imurr9 mediacenter[683]: Mesa warning: failed to remap glEGLImageTargetTextureStorageEXT
Dez 30 10:16:14 imurr9 mediacenter[683]: Mesa warning: failed to remap glCopyImageSubDataNV
Dez 30 10:16:14 imurr9 mediacenter[683]: Mesa warning: failed to remap glViewportSwizzleNV
Dez 30 10:16:14 imurr9 mediacenter[683]: Mesa warning: failed to remap glAlphaToCoverageDitherControlNV
Dez 30 10:16:14 imurr9 mediacenter[683]: Mesa warning: failed to remap glInternalBufferSubDataCopyMESA
Dez 30 10:16:33 imurr9 sudo[782]:     osmc : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/mv /var/tmp/config-user.txt /boot/config-user.txt
Dez 30 10:16:33 imurr9 sudo[782]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Dez 30 10:16:33 imurr9 mediacenter[683]: mv: der Eigentümer für '/boot/config-user.txt' konnte nicht beibehalten werden: Die Operation ist nicht erlaubt
Dez 30 10:16:33 imurr9 sudo[782]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root

There seems to be an owner problem for /boot/config-user.txt. Currently it is root/root

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 85 Dez 30 10:16 /boot/config-user.txt

and it is touched when kodi/OSMC is started.

Regards, Michael

/boot/ is a vfat filesystem so it doesn’t support permissions/owner. The owner of it comes from the mounting time. It was always owned by root/root.
Therefore the error message always was there because the user can not be remained after the mv command as no users are supported on vfat.

Thanks fzinken for that clarification.

Coming back to my original problem. Now I have an idea what might be the reason for my new IR problem. My IR signals are grabbed directly by lirc protocol within ir-keytable. And I’m unable to switch back to rc-6. Each IR keypress is sent towards kodi and (from kodi perspective correctly) executed. Thus I guess that as an unwanted sideeffect of your testrelease the original IR handling has changed. Despite being disabled eventlircd is running. I could stop it, but still can’t enable rc-6.

Is that an intended new behaviour?

Regards, Michael

Please post some logs, as it seems like you didn’t update your device.

No changes to IR in staging repo.

Thanks for your patience - I repeated your steps:

sudo bash
echo 'deb http://apt.osmc.tv buster-devel main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
shutdown -r now

with minor modifications. Sadly no changes: advancedsettings.xml is unchanged, I’m still unable to engage rc-6:

ir-keytable -p rc-6
Protocols changed to rc-6 

but kernel reports

[  275.898783] rc_core: Loaded IR protocol module ir-rc6-decoder, but protocol rc-6 still not available
[  478.169856] rc_core: Loaded IR protocol module ir-rc6-decoder, but protocol rc-6 still not available

I’ve validated contents of /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list to be

deb http://apt.osmc.tv buster-devel main

Both update and dist-upgrade run without error message, dist-upgrade did fetch something.

See here the last entries from apt log /var/log/apt/term.log partly reduced manually

Log started: 2021-12-30  07:40:48
(Lese Datenbank ... 
(Lese Datenbank ... 5%
(Lese Datenbank ... 100%
(Lese Datenbank ... 46261 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)

Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../mediacenter-skin-osmc_19.1.2-1_all.deb ...

Entpacken von mediacenter-skin-osmc (19.1.2-1) über (19.1.1-8) ...

mediacenter-skin-osmc (19.1.2-1) wird eingerichtet ...

Log ended: 2021-12-30  07:40:52

Log started: 2021-12-30  15:31:40
(Lese Datenbank ... 
(Lese Datenbank ... 5%
(Lese Datenbank ... 100%
(Lese Datenbank ... 46261 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)

Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von .../mediacenter-skin-osmc_19.1.2-2_all.deb ...

Entpacken von mediacenter-skin-osmc (19.1.2-2) über (19.1.2-1) ...

mediacenter-skin-osmc (19.1.2-2) wird eingerichtet ...

Log ended: 2021-12-30  15:31:43

Maybe I don’t see a change because I use the standard kodi skin?

But I also must admit that till today morning I did not reboot my raspi to test if my setup “survives” reboot. Thus maybe my new IR trouble is not related with the update?

I have discovered one flaw within my setup - to disable eventlircd one has to mask it by

systemctl mask eventlircd

Anyhow, I don’t see your change within the global advancedsettings.xml.

Sorry, Michael

Apologies – I can see the issue (forgot to bump package version).
It will be in the next update.

Thanks.

And I start to understand why rc6 is failing - the corresponding kernel module is no longer loaded. I can enforce rc6 by

insmod /lib/modules/5.10.78-2-osmc/kernel/drivers/media/rc/ir-rc6-decoder.ko
ir-keytable -c -p rc-6 -w /usr/lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce.toml

and dmesg is happy to report

[  866.139072] IR RC6 protocol handler initialized

I also have discovered the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-rc6.conf containing

blacklist ir_rc6_decoder

Thus no wonder that it is not loaded. Thus I’ll delete that file and reboot - fingers crossed. WORKING!!!

Hopefully this long discussion might be usefull to others also suffering under my problem.

Regards, Michael