Force 422 video output

Hi!

Sometimes when playing HDR UHD content Vero plays it using 444 10 bit instead of 422 and I get an Image with sparklies/ snow. Can I force 422 10 bit?

Thanks!

I’ve been wondering this, too. Prior to the October release you could force 422 by doing something like
echo "422,10bit" | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr
but that doesn’t seem to work any more - it picks up on the bit depth, but it always outputs 444 regardless.

In my TV it seems that 4:4:4 content doesn’t work. The sound works properly but I can only see a black screen so I wonder about it too.
I don’t know if it’s the TV or the Pi2 fault though.

Try

echo "422,10bitnow" | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

That still gives me 444.

I solved it connecting the Vero to one of the non HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI inputs of my AV Receiver. Now I get 4Kn422 8bit without image notes. Wish I could get 4K 422 10 bit but will wait until it is menu selectable…

Regards

Sparklies/snow on an HDMI signal is usually an indication that the bandwidth is too high for the cable in use. 444 10 bit may require a higher bandwidth than the cable is capable of, especially if it’s a long cable. Trying a different cable may help.

Tried different cables from Vero to AV. Now I will try the same from AV to TV… will let you know what I get by doing so…

Thanks!

Update!

Changed both HDMI cables in my chain (good quality ones, I thought): Vero 4K to AV and AV to TV set. Using the much cheaper Amazon Basics ones and… voilà, it works!
Now I get perfect quality 4K HDR 444 10bit video, no video noise whatsoever. So glad with my Vero 4K +

Thanks a lot to you all for your valuable help.

I’m glad to hear this.

Sam