Foreign Subtitles and MKV

I am ripping my Blu-Rays using MakeMKV and then playing them back on my Vero 4k, problem is the foreign subtitles (i.e. the ones displayed when non-local language is used) aren’t enabled by default, so I have to go in a try and find the right subtitle track to select (not a good experience when the family are watching a film!)

Is there something I need to enable somewhere for these subtitles to be automatically enabled ?

Thanks

Phil

Set the subtitle track as default when you mux the mkv and set Kodi to have subtitles enabled by default. This should take care of it for you.

Maybe this is what I am missing. I don’t Mux the MKV, simply rip it using MakeMKV. Can you explain how and why I need to Mux it?

Thanks

Look for any option within MakeMKV to flag it as the default track or you can use the MKV Header Editor in mkvtoolnix to do this. Setting the default flag in a MKV is primarily intended if you have more than one video, audio or subtitle track in the MKV. e.g. English and French audio tracks and you want English to be the default audio track.