Format USB drive

I have attached a portable USB drive to my Vero 4K+ and would like to format it as ext4, then have it appear in my network so I can transfer files to it.
Could someone please help me with this?
Thanks

You would first access the command line.

Details regarding how to access the command line interface can be found here on our Wiki: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC

Then check out this post

Thanks fzinken. I’ll give that a go now.

I have run fdisk -l, and the ext hd has 2 partitions:

/dev/sda1 40 409639 409600 200M EFI System
/dev/sda2 411648 7813967871 7813556224 3.7T Microsoft basic data

(This portable WD My Passport was formatted as ExFat on a Mac)

This drive will only ever be connected to the Vero 4K+ so it seems like Ext4 is the right choice for reformatting. So can I erase both partitions somehow, creating 1 Ext4 partition for all the media to be on?

Also, is a USB-powered external drive ok? Am I better off using a powered desktop-style external drive?

Thanks again.

Yes suggest to delete both existing Partitions and create one single one and format as EXT4.
fstab /dev/sda to get the interface to delete and create partitions.

Normally it is suggested to use a USB Drive with it’s own powersupply or a using a powered USB Hub as the USB2 standard is not designed to provide always enough power for a mechanical drive.

Thanks. I have a spare powered desktop, I’ll use that.

Just ran the above, got this:

osmc@Hub: $ fstab /dev/sda
-bash: fstab: command not found

Have I entered it incorrectly?

Sorry not installed by default.
You can use sudo sfdisk /dev/sda as alternative or alternatively install it via sudo apt-get install fstab

sfdisk runs ok. When I run:

I get:
osmc@Hub: $ sudo apt-get install fstab
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package fstab

I’m happy to give sfdisk a shot, unless fstab would be better for my level of newb-ness :slight_smile:

Why oh why nobody corrected me.
It’s not fstab it’s fdisk as written in the other thread :slight_smile:
sudo fdisk /dev/sda

That opens fdisk fine.

Thanks again for all your help! I’ll connect the desktop drive & see how I go.

In my case, if I knew enough to correct you I probably wouldn’t have needed to ask you any of this in the first place :smiley: