Freeview UK live decoding of HD channels not working

I have just installed OSMC on a Raspberry Pi 3 with tvheadend and a TV HAT. I have scanned all of the channels ok and can watch/record programmes.

However if I watch live HD channels, after a while (anywhere from 10mins to 2 hours) the audio and video stop and then OSMC restarts. Not sure if this also happens on the SD channels.

In the UK, HD channels are AVC 1080i + HE-AAC audio. SD channels are MPEG2 576i + MPEG1L2 audio.

I have tried logging various subsystems but there is nothing obvious in them. I have also tried disabling hardware decode acceleration with no change.

Anybody got any ideas on what I should try next?

Any help gratefully received!

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

  • enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

  • reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

  • reproduce the issue

  • upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Maybe it is Overheating?

Maybe you are right and it is overheating. I have one of the same setup and it just works. However, I do not have a lid on the case and it does get hot.

Thanks for the responses. I am currently testing SD channel decoding to see whether that crashes as well. If that is ok later today, I will change back to an HD channel and get a log and check the temp. Will report back once I have more results.

The Pi is reporting a temp of 67 degrees so well within limits.

I will provide a log shortly hopefully.

Ok, so I finally managed to upload the logs to https://paste.osmc.tv/iyumozubop. This was captured after viewing an HD channel. Hope someone can find something in there.

BTW It took 3 attempts to upload the log. The first 2 tries, the URL was just “https://paste.osmc.tv/<html>”. I rebooted after each attempt and it was only only the third upload that the url was correct.

Unfortunately 2 reboots means the respective Kodi Logs are gone. And as normally no persistent system logs are activated there is also nothing in that logs.

In settings >player>Videos> turn “sync playback to display” off and “allow hardware acceleration - mmal” on.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had turned hardware acceleration off to see whether that helped but it didn’t. I’ve turned it back on again and restarted the test.

It stopped ecoding again but I wasn’t able to upload the logs via the GUI or via grab-logs. I suspect that was because they are too large (~35Mbytes).

What I have done is to use “grab-logs -X -T tmp.log” to create a log file then to delete a whole bunch of duplicating lines from approximately 6pm yesterday (20th March) to midnight. Hope fully I haven’t deleted anything important. This shortened log file is at https://paste.osmc.tv/regitateda.coffee.