Freeze on startup - default background displayed

Wondering what is happening if you switch back to OSMC skin for testing?

Try renaming /home/osmc/.kodi to kodi.bak after stopping kodi sudo systemctl stop mediacenter mv /home/osmc/.kodi /home/osmc/.kodi.bak sudo reboot

MOD EDIT: Typo

I have reinstalled and am currently sticking to OSMC for testing. I didnā€™t calibrate my video settings yet and the system was stable until I selected to share my libraries and allow remote control via UPnP in the Services menu. The system crashed, displaying the default OSMC background (blue) with the words ā€˜Settingsā€™ in the top left, as well as the system date and time (top right). However I was able to reboot back into Kodi (normal behaviour has been to not be able to properly boot after one crash) and the system seemed stable, however again when exiting the settings menu the same issue appeared, with ā€˜Settings in the top leftā€™ etc displaying only. Now thh pi displays a black screen only, after displaying the OSMC splash screen.

The logs seem to indicate some kind of issue with updating/settings:

http://paste.osmc.io/hixazedana

Hi Dilligaf, thanks for the advice - I gave this a go but I get a very odd response:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo systemctl stop mediacenter
osmc@osmc:~$ mv /home/omc/.kodi /home/osmc/.kodi.bak
mv: cannot stat ā€˜/home/omc/.kodiā€™: No such file or directory
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo reboot

osmc not omc.

I just fixed a typo in @Dilligaf commands.

Thanks, It carried out the commands with no complaint, however it rebooted to a black screen that hung. Pulling the power and restarting seems to have worked for now (Iā€™m back into a usable system) and ill report back if I see any issues.

You should get the new power supply shortly. I got it out in todayā€™s post (yesterday was too busy).

Sam

Thanks again Sam, much appreciated.

Hi Sam,

New PSU arrived yesterday, currently stable and will report back if there are any issues. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Sam,

Unfortunately the issue is back after roughly a week of stability. The Pi reported an error updating and now the Pi now boots directly to the default Kodi Confluence background as before.

I have posted logs here:

http://paste.osmc.io/ilucexosij

It looks like an issue scanning the library maybe?

In any case, I have a Pi3 on the way this week, which should remove the final point of failure (new microSD card, PSU already purchased).

Hi

Did you restore your overclock?
Do you have a lot of add-one? You could try disabling them until you find the culprit.

Sam

Hi Sam,

I have about 5 add-ons and yes I did restore overclock after a period of stability, it seemed fine but as you hint, itā€™s probably wise to disable the add-ons and return to default clockspeed.

Cheers,

James

Bingo!

The issue returned with completely different kit (new PSU, new sd card, Pi3) simply by enabling ā€˜share my librariesā€™ on the UPnP menu. The next day the PI was frozen and restarts got stuck on the wallpaperā€¦ the only way to fix was to remove the Ethernet cable, restart and disable library sharing.