Freeze when playing large FLAC file

Thank you for the suggestion @darwindesign. This sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately I constantly get

mount error(95): Operation not supported
>> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

So, I tried mounting the share manually using

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=SMBUSER,password=SMBPASSWORD,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,vers=3.11 //server/path /mnt/Testing

and this failed with

mount error(22): Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

On a Debian machine I use for testing, the same command works well. I used vers=3.11, because running smbstatus on the server gives the following:

Samba version 4.9.5-Debian
PID     Username     Group        Machine                                   Protocol Version  Encryption           Signing
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
32636   USER         GROUP        OSMC_IP (ipv4:OSMC_IP:34538)              SMB3_11           -                    partial(AES-128-CMAC)

In the forum, I saw another user reporting the same issue (Smbclient connects to Samba share but mount -t cifs does not) but for a Pi instead of Vero. I also found some more hints on the internet, that error 95 is related to SMB protocol version. Could it be, that cifs on Vero does not support version 3.11?

EDIT: I can also confirm that autofs is working on the Debian system (with vers=3.11).