Frequent random muting, then freezing

There are full debug logs collected (grab-logs -A) a few minutes after mute and hand happened:
http://paste.osmc.io/covobuhava

This time hang appeared while playing music not video. System unfreezed when I connected it by ssh so I was able to collect logs without reboot.

I hope it will be useful to hunt that bug.

At least one person is using a third party addon in this thread.

Please run the following commands and see if the issue persists:

sudo -s
echo "127.0.0.1 tribeca.tvaddons.ag" >> /etc/hosts
sudo reboot

Thanks

Sam

Hello,
So I try the last change, but it happened again…
This is what you need? http://paste.osmc.io/bajimewula
Hope it help better

Hi

I am also experiencing this issue. It happens when I play a file from SMB or stream from a tablet to the pi. It is a Pi B+ connected via Ethernet.

As others have said CEC works, the video plays, sound will go and the video “stops”. A message about CEC pops up and the video FF to where it should be. CEC now doesn’t work unless rebooted. This happened twice in the last hour (10PM-11PM), playing one streaming video. First one kicked in as soon as I SSH’d in. Second time it didn’t. I was about to force a reboot via SSH when it jumped back to life.

Logs are at http://paste.osmc.io/ilurunizut.vhdl

So does disabling CEC in Settings->Input->Peripherals prevent it freezing ?

not sure as i haven’t tried but the first time it crashed I had the “pulse-eight CEC Adapter failed” error the second time (without rebooting after the first error) there was no additional error. I assume there was no second error because the cec adapter was no longer running.

I’ll try disabling cec at some point. Although it would be impossible to test. I had no issues for a week after installing osmc (previously i had raspbmc and had no issues). Then all of a sudden having it crash twice in an hour.

disabled cec adapter, rebooted, streamed a file - still crashed

some things to note:

1. today there was an update which was installed
  2. previously i would still be able to SSH to the pi and when i establish a new connection (note that i have been connected to ssh during freezes and it only wakes up once i establish a new connection)… Since the update, half of the times it crashes and I connect to the Pi, it doesnt connect unless i wait a minute or so first. If i try again after a minute or so SSH responds and playback “resumes”

It froze again and this time I was in SSH and running top. Attached is a screenshot of top when it froze.

OK, so not a memory issue in your case - 126MB of memory usage by Kodi is perfectly normal and the system is not low on memory either.

it reacts in exactly the same way as the other have reported including

• pausing then FF to where it would have been if it didn’t stop
  • SSH bringing it back to life
  • CEC being disabled because of this and needing a reboot to bring cec back
  • The same debug messages (“CDVDPlayer::OMXDoProcessing Pause” & “OMXClock::OMXSetSpeed” & “CDVDPlayer::OMXDoProcessing Resume”)

So if mine doesnt have a memory issues are there are multiple causes that give you the same issue or could the memory issue be a red herring an OP has 2 issues. This one and and a memory issue?

Can you explain what you mean by this ?

8/10 times it freezes i create a new ssh connection and it does the ff catchup.

A few of the times i was already connected to ssh but the video was stuck until i created a new ssh connection.

One time i couldnt connect at all

One time i connected and ran “ls” but nothing happened penrd, just a cursor. Then tge command ran after a minute or so and then the video did the ff and catch up

That sounds a lot like disk IO is getting bogged down. Can you try the following to measure the io performance of your SD card. First install iozone:

sudo apt-get install iozone3

(on a Pi 1 it might be iozone instead of iozone3)

Then run the following command when Kodi is idle, which might take a few minutes:

iozone -e -I -a -s 50M -r 4k -r 512k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2 | tail -4 | head -2 | awk '{print "Block Size " $2"k", "Write " $3/1024, "Rewrite " $4/1024, "Read " $5/1024, "Reread " $6/1024, "Random Read " $7/1024, "Random Write "$8/1024}'

(copy and paste it as one long line - make sure you scroll across to get it all)

Please paste the result here, (within preformatted text tags) which should look something like this:

Block Size 4k Write 3.12988 Rewrite 3.06055 Read 7.16699 Reread 7.19824 Random Read 7.18555 Random Write 3.14941
Block Size 512k Write 27.8193 Rewrite 30.082 Read 36.2578 Reread 36.2344 Random Read 36.2236 Random Write 30.7891

tried to install iozone and iozone3 but it says “unable to locate package”

try this first:

sudo apt-get update

Are you on a Pi 1 ?

Yeh I tried tat first.

Its a Pi 1 B (or B+ Cant recall)

B because it has SD not microSD

Sorry I forgot that Raspbian doesn’t have the iozone package so I had to compile it from source last time I used it on a Pi 1. I have an already compiled copy you can download:

wget http://collaborate.osmc.tv/index.php/s/LfwCHMhKNJylhMl/download -O iozone
chmod a+x iozone

As you’d be running it from your home directory you’d want to put ./ in front of iozone when running the command previously posted, eg:

./iozone -e -I -a -s 50M -r 4k -r 512k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2 | tail -4 | head -2 | awk '{print "Block Size " $2"k", "Write " $3/1024, "Rewrite " $4/1024, "Read " $5/1024, "Reread " $6/1024, "Random Read " $7/1024, "Random Write "$8/1024}'
Block Size 4k Write 0.850586 Rewrite 0.964844 Read 3.7041 Reread 3.68945 Random Read 3.57812 Random Write 0.558594
Block Size 512k Write 5.38379 Rewrite 5.21289 Read 21.1807 Reread 21.1338 Random Read 21.1719 Random Write 1.03711

Are there any OS logs we could look at?

Hello everyone, I’m experiencing the same problem on my rpi B streaming from HTTP
It started happening around October and before that it was fine.

Before I found this thread I monitored my memory usage and there doesn’t seem to be a leak. Checked the temperature and it’s also fine.

I never tried the ssh trick because I usually have an ssh connection opened for monitoring, but whenever the freeze occurred I would do sudo reboot and see the video FF before the entire system went down.

Here’s my disk IO data (the system is running on a usb stick)

Block Size 4k Write 1.17383 Rewrite 1.20605 Read 3.46777 Reread 3.47754 Random Read 3.00586 Random Write 0.306641
Block Size 512k Write 3.40039 Rewrite 3.71094 Read 22.1035 Reread 22.0996 Random Read 21.915 Random Write 1.47656