FTP issues

I am currently running osmc fresh install well 3 weeks in because I purchased a Raspberry Pi 3+ everything works great, however, I have noticed transferring files via FTP sometimes it will lock up the whole system which requires a reboot has anybody else had this issue? However, I am using KDE dolphin’s built-in FTP perhaps I should try using a regular FTP before reporting a bug it very well maybe a dolphin issue. I would like to report this as a bug is there a bug Reporting System you all have? If it’s not a dolphin issue.

Logs would be helpful, but without those my first guess would be your power supply.

If you can do a test with a command line ftp client to see if you get the same problem would also help.

But logs are always best:

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

So, in summary:

• activate the logging
  • reboot the OSMC device
  • reproduce the issue
  • upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A
  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back so quick bmillham. I will generate some logs however quick question when I was uploading each file was roughly 400m and I think it connected four or five times perhaps it just bogged down the system. I can upload one 5 gig file and not have an issue perhaps it was just getting bogged down being connected or five times. And since I have your attention I have adequate power and a 4 terabyte hard drive connected straight into the Raspberry Pi would you suggest or should I get a USB hub that has power on it I also run openmediavault and I added a USB hub that supplies its own power and that fixed all the issues I had with it. I’m just curious if that would take a strain off the pi itself. I think next month I’m just going to go by a Vero 4k that way I have another Raspberry Pi to geek on lol thank you for your time.

If the drive is not self powered, then that could be your problem. A powered hub would be worth trying.

What are the specs on your power supply?

1 Like

2.5A Power Supply Actually this bundle http://a.co/5T8OMPq

That’s probably not enough to handle a USB drive. The Pi 3 calls for 2.5 (if I remember correctly). The USB drive will use more power. Try out a powered hub if you can.

1 Like

Awesome! thank you for your time I appreciate it.

Just ordered another one lol

Let us know if it fixes your problem!

1 Like

Will do :slight_smile:

Just received my power USB hub today in the mail plugged it in everything still works I’ll let you know when I transfer some content. However I did figure out I was putting a strain on the pi itself if I use dolphin file manager to transfer files selecting single files and copying over it can connect up to five times I believe I may be wrong with that number maybe 4 but for s**** and giggles I used an FTP program that I have set up to only connect twice to the FTP and uploaded some pretty big files everything worked flawlessly and that was before I purchased the USB hub. Getting the self-powered USB hub probably was a good idea anyways. I’m going to be buying a Vero 4K in the near future is it a good idea to still use that USB hub with the Vero. Any o hu just thought I’d give you an update and thank you for your time.

1 Like

I can officially say it can handle the load now after adding that powered 4 Port USB hub :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the update, it’s always nice when someone takes the time to come back and confirm their issue is now resolved.

3 Likes

Indeed – the new Pi is rather power hungry as well; so I think we’ll see more reports of power issues with the new device.

1 Like