Games on osmc kodi 19

Hello. I’m testing some games with osmc (kodi 19), on a raspberry pi 3b, through IAGL and the libretto repository for emulators.
I wanted to ask if it is normal for some platforms (Snes, Mame, etc) to work slowly (choppy and slow audio, slow movements), or if there is a way to optimize them.
The only games that run at normal speed are the Atari 2600.

I also wanted to ask you if there are differences and what would they be between using IAGL (zach morris) together with the libretto binaries, or using retrosmc (mcobit)?

Thank you very much

As long as you are using libraries built against OSMC’s MESA / GLES libraries, you’ll get the best performance.

Simple answer is yes there is a difference, while libretro cores in kodi runs ok, remember that the whole kodi system is still in memory, and i believe some of the renderation is hindered by “the kodi way” of handling things.

In retrosmc, you have closed down kodi, each emulator is running freely, using the render method it has preferred. Now since the release of new video-handling on the Pi since pi4 release, I’m not sure if RetroPi-guys has released a new way of doing things for the pi3, since RetrOSMC, by mcobit, is hugely “just a retropi distro” running inside OSMC.

A downside is there is “no easy IAGL” for RetrOSMC, it’s based on locally store ROM’s.

In short , can’t keep the cake and eat it at the same time.

Thanks Sam and Joakim.

I wasn’t sure if IAGL kept kodi in the background because it includes an option to Start/Stop kodi while playing. It is obviously kept in memory.

I understand then that for performance the best is retrosmc. Two more queries.
Would the mcobit source be the best option to try to install?
And is it possible to have a dual boot of kodi and retrosmc? (I anticipate consulting before trying it on my own).

Thanks again.

Would the mcobit source be the best option to try to install?

A personal opinion, but for having retro-gaming for pi3 while still booting OSMC I think RetrOSMC is the best solution, if you have access to roms and not be dependent on public storage of roms.

And is it possible to have a dual boot of kodi and retrosmc?

It certainly is, but I can’t tell you if it’s the better solution. If you are gonna use two OS in your pi, why not have two SD-cards? It is all about where your comfort level is, same SD-card then you are “sacrificing” something, like using a boot handler, that is rewrite the card with two OS and and all that means, setting up rules for storage per OS, default boot. Alternately use multiple SD-cards, and changing while you want to game? And having two cards, it’s more likely to get official support from both OS’s, with no excuses =)

Edit: I’ve must say, the second question I read as OSMC and RetroPi (since RetrOSMC is an adaptation of RetroPI OS, to install all software on OSMC’s os)

1 Like