Getting around 1 usb port on Apple TV1 and USB install ? (usb boot not hdd)

I have created the boot disk in order for apple tv1 to boot to osmc from the usb. The installation went fine but when I get to part of setting up language and country I cant do anything because there is only one usb on the back of the apple tv 1 .The apple remote wont work after booting to the osmc boot usb. I bought a usb hub but when I connect the osmc boot usb to the hub it ignores it and boots back to the regular apple tv. It only boots to osmc when I hook it up directly to the apple tv without the usb hub. What do I do here?
Does the apple remote typically still work here ? Or do I need a different kind of usb hub that will enable the usb boot to work ?

Yes,

Check battery and check it is paired (Menu and +)
Make sure you use a powered hub.

Thanks Sam
My old apple remote in general works intermittently so I was using my iPhone as remote. I changed the battery on it but I think its just dying . The iPhone says the apple tv is offline so that definately wont work after booting to the usb. The iPhone does work when I pull out the usb and boot to regular apple tv so shouldn’t it be working when booting to the osmc usb?

Yes it should, but we’d need more information to look at that kind of problem.

i.e. the message on the iPhone, app used, debug log etc.

Its the standard apple tv remote app from apple and it just says the apple tv is offline.I just realized that the iPhone is probably paired through the wireless network so if I can get the old apple remote to work long enough to get to the wireless setup of osmc the iPhone might work at that point. I can still setup wireless even if I’m not booting from the hdd right?

AppleTV remote app will not work on OSMC

Thanks Sam

I got the old remote to work and i was able to continue into setup. No need for the usb hub i guess. I am now trying to setup fusion in kodi but in the config wizard do i select apple tv as operating system or linux since i booting off the usb? the usb is a linux boot right? Also, will i be able to set up a wireless connection since im booting off the usb?

Please don’t discuss piracy (fusion) here. :rage:
OSMC is Linux based. See osmc.tv for more information

Just a suggestion…
I suggest you do an install to the internal HDD, unless you are testing OSMC or for some reason want to keep the original apple tv OS or some other dual boot situation.
The performance advantage to running off the internal HDD is substantial.

As for wifi… If you have installed a Crystal HD card (which removes the internal wifi card), you will need to use a supported USB wifi dongle.
if you don’t have a CrystalHD card installed, you are wasting your time, since the ATV1 can’t play HD without it.

I suggest you install/configure your kodi addons manually, like the official kodi documentation explains.

Also, that wizard crap is junk. It not only helps ripping off content creators, but causes all sorts of performance and stability problems.

If you insist on using the “wizard” then you should go to their forums for support. We won’t help with it.

A post was split to a new topic: Dual booting AppleTV OS on internal drive and OSMC on external usb drive