Getting Started

I’ve been advised to upgrade from Rasbian to OSMC so am about to start. I have a clean Class 10 SD Card (32GB) and have downloaded the windows installer. But I cannot find any info on what to do next. Obviously you run up the installer but is there a link what to expect/see/do after that? Or is it all plain sailing ?

Also I’m not sure what Rasp Pi I have, how do I tell if it’s “Model 2” and if it’s not, will it work? Will I need a dongle or any other stuff (e.g. codecs) ?
Thanks for any info.

SHould be quite clear. you choose your Pi and then choose if final OS (not the boot files) should be on SD or USB. As you have a 32GB SD Card you can install all on the SD Card. Next step choose the SD Card displayed and press install. After everything is finish unmount the card and plug it in the Pi and boot.

Easiest is to upload a picture here of the board and we can tell.
Or check this Checking Raspberry Pi Revision Number & Board Version - Raspberry Pi Spy

Main difference are between Pi 1 and Pi 2/3 which you have to check to avoid a boot issue.

Thanks fzinken. I didn’t know the SD card should initially be in Windows/PC (then moved to Pi).
My Pi is
processor : 0
model name : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xb76
CPU revision : 7

Hardware : BCM2708
Revision : 000e
Serial : 0000000038d5179d

Am I OK to go ? BTW It will be a few days as SD card is in the post.

So it’s a Pi1 you need to choose the Pi1 Image during install

From RPi HardwareHistory - eLinux.org

000e Q4 2012 B 2.0 512 MB (Mfg by Sony)

You have an Rpi 1 B

While it shouldn’t have any problem running OSMC, compared to a modern Pi, and even more so a Vero 4k, performance will be less than stellar.

1 Like

Thanks for info.
Will expected performance be less than the existing Raspbian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy) (Kernel: Linux 3.12.31).

In regards to running Kodi, probably not since OSMC is optimized specifically for this purpose.

What have you been using Raspbian for and what will you use OSMC for? The reason I ask is that they are sort of different things (although they do have a large area of overlap).

Raspbian is a general purpose operating system which you can use for general tasks like application development, web browsing, email etc. and you can also install some media applications like Kodi onto it.

OSMC is primarily designed to run Kodi and as such doesn’t have a desktop environment installed. You can still use it for other general purpose tasks (I also use mine as a NAS for example) but you won’t really be able to use this as a general purpose computer if things like web browsing/email were your requirement.

There are preloaded cards on the website with a lifetime warranty.

Sam

Jb2cool, it’s KODI I want for streaming video and audio from the PC to TV. I don’t know what else can be done (even on Rasbian) . I did think I’d delve into but never did. Found the browser didn’t work very well but playing videos was great, far better than DLNA which was used before getting the pi. Is there much difference between KODI and OSMC compared to Rasbian? ? What about HEV format?

I may have purchased a preloaded card but coudn’t find the link, or any mention of them. Then found some on special for $9. Class 10, 32 GB. If not ok will look again for preloaded.

Preloaded comes as a choice when choosing the card in the shop, if I remember correctly. I would be careful of SD cards that are marked down in price, often a reason for it

HEVC is a bit limited on Pi.
Pi3 or later is needed really.