Google Sheets for RPI 3b+

Hey Everyone,

First of all, I’d like to thank this community for being so active and helpful as I am the furthest from the definition of tech savvy. I am trying to find the best/ any way of accessing and using Google Sheets on my RPI 3b+ with my RPI touchscreen display. I attempted to download the x11 add-on by @joakim_s ([Testing] X11(simple desktop) + Chromium(web browser) in a simple installer for Stretch) but unfortunately, I can’t find a way to use an on-board keyboard with the add-on. Would anyone have any suggestions?

Edit:

Sorry, forgot to add @ in front of joakim_s!
On-screen not on-board

Thanks in advance.

@joakim_s this is your creation :slight_smile:

“Onboard keyboard” like a screen-touch-keyboard? Probably need some drivers, I might be able to help you if you can give me more info about the touch display, then we might be able to locate drivers for it.

Other solution is an ordinary usb or wireless keyboard, that works for me.

@joakim_s

Sorry, on-screen keyboard. I listed the specs of my display below. I’d like to have an on-screen option for when I am away from a stationary environment, I could refer back to my Google Sheets at any point in time. I designed my RPI as kind of a mini hybrid between a laptop and tablet.

Raspberry Pi 3b+
Raspberry Pi 7 inch LCD touchscreen

Thanks, got a few follow up questions:

Do you have touch in Kodi?

Did you install the the LCD7-package?

Do you have matchbox-keyboard installed?

Since I don’t have the hardware i can’t test, I’m just found this page on the net, it’s for raspbian but I found matchbox-keyboard package in Debian stretch too, and nothing in the installation script seem to be “just raspbian”.

So I don’t have any of those plug-ins. Unfortunately upon looking for matchbox within OSMC, I couldn’t find anything in the add-on browser (maybe I’m not looking in the right place.) I should mention touch response does work perfectly on the OSMC (current test Kodi) interface and your x11 package, but it’s just the matter of having an on-screen keyboard for x11.

Try this in command shell:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install matchbox-keyboard

That should give you a on-screen keyboard app somewhere in “start menu”

WOW, worked like a charm! On a side note, is there like an specific add-on for viewing of Google Sheets? The Google drive add-on seems limited to only media. I searched Google and this forum with no luck. With that said, thank you very much @joakim_s ! You made my office and play completely mobile now!

Since Kodi is a mediacenter first and foremost, i don’t think there has been enough request for a “google documents” viewer nor word/excel/powerpoint viewer either. Reading up on it it seems to rely on external apps.

For now your own solution is the best i can think of.

1 Like