GPU Mem settings

I know little about even less…

I was watching movies and TV shows happily this morning, came home this arvo and some videos will play ok and others will play the sound but not display any video.

It seemed to me that the videos that tended to play were usually of a lower quality or shorter (like TV shows vs movies) but I couldn’t be sure of that.

After doing some Intrawebs searching I came across discussions about the GPU Mem settings. Some people mentioned similar issues and there was talk about the GPU Mem settings affecting this. So I checked in the area and just hit “Default”, as I’d never touched this stuff so figured that’d do it… After a reboot, this did not fix it. Anyway, I went back into the GPU Mem settings area for another look and noticed that the three settings options listed were all set at 64.

Now I’m no tech genius but that struck me as strange that the default would be the same for all three device GPUs, given they each increase in GPU Mem size. So I tested by upping the setting for the RPi2 (which is my device) to 256 and now movies that previously did not play, or played only sound, will play fine.

So, my questions for the tech crowd are;

Have I set my RPi2 on a path the burnout or was my decision the right one? Can it be improved?

If the settings are supposed to be different, why did the “Default” option wang everything down to 64?

Did something happen recently which could have caused the RPi GPU Mem settings to change, which would have been the start of this whole journey for me?

Cheers mates!

No. This should not have been changed.

VERY OLD first gen pi’s with 256mb total mem should be set to 112.
Any pi with 512mb should be 144.
Any pi with 1024mb should be 256.

Thanks for reporting this!

CC @Karnage

No problem!

Thanks for letting me know I changed my setting to the correct one.

Should be fixed in the next update.