Green bands showing on HEVC h265 content

Hi i have been encoding my video library with handbrake using intel’s h265 quick sync video hardware encoder. Playback on the PC using VLC is fine and the Raspberry Pi3 (not 3B+) overclocked to 1350 Mhz is fine but the vero 4K shows green bands along the bottom & on the right hand side of the video. If i turn hardware decoding off in the settings the bands go away but the CPU usage goes to high for smooth playback. The raspberry Pi uses software decoding hence the overclock as it does not support h 265 hardware decoding anyway. Have i done something wrong during the encode process is or could be a profile or setting thats is not supported ?.

Kind Regards
Davet218

If you are using handbrake check how you are cropping. Usually HB crops by every 2 pixels (under Picture tab, under Size, setting is called Modulus). Set that to 4 and try another encode. Some decoders want the frame/picture size to be in increments of 4 not 2, otherwise you could get a green band on the bottom or right side.
I had to re-rip 5 seasons of an old TV show once because of this setting and a green band on the right that didn’t reveal itself until I watched an episode via Kodi…and this was on a different box than a Vero 4k. I didn’t see the green band on VLC/Windows and the green band went away if I turned off hardware decoding in Kodi. Think that was on a Chromebox when that happened and using h264 encodes but sounded just like your problem so I thought I would suggest the Modulus fix.

1 Like

Awesome that sounds like that could work i did wonder about the cropping in handbrake i will try tonight and let you know thanks for the help most appreciated.

Kind Regards
Davet218

Excellent worked perfectly i would never have found that out on my own thanks for the help

Kind Regards
Davet218