Hard disk installations now possible (Sorry, Coming Soon)

hi spinner how are you keeping? I know its like asking how long is a piece of string but do you think HD install might be sorted this week? thanks man. P

Well Spinner, Iā€™ll do an HD install on my third ATV1 , itā€™s working fine at the moment, but like I said lets break all the ā€œIf itā€™s working leave it alone rulesā€ If we stuck to the first bit of success we would still have a stone wheel. I will do the same as you and use another Usb Hub, and we can do a compare. ?
By the way Spinner these Hubs Iā€™ve used are not the powered type.?

pm2097:

Not sure at this point. I know that HD install definitely wonā€™t happen until Sam gets back from his trip.

While the rest of the dev team is involved in OSMC in general, the ATV is Samā€™s baby.
Unfortunately the installer changes are coming at the same time as other major work, including getting ready for Kodi 16 Jarvis which has a bunch of changes under the hood.
He was working right up until he got on the plane

cool thanks for the really quick reply man. so new year? might use chewitts openelec til then so, I have a few to do and the hd installs you guys are doing look tricky for a noob like me and I donā€™t have any cables / connectors to hook removed hard drives to my pc

As iā€™m using an msata, itā€™s not easy for me to just take it out and pop it in the pc (I already have my desktop running off a Samsung MZHP, so dont have the luxury of throwing it in - tiz a lot of mucking about :frowning: )

Iā€™m resigned to awaiting for an official release, barring any way of remotely installing, or tweaking the current image on the HDD as it stands.

Kudos for the remarkable work Sam has done though - Just bashed through three of the star wars films in preparation for the new onw later in the week, and all is perfect other than some rather flickery light/dark bits which will need further investigation :smiley:

Hi Everybody,

Iā€™ve just installed OSMC on the HDD of the ATV and itā€™s not really difficult, for thos who are interested in!!
1 - take the HHD drive of the ATV or another HDD of 40gb
2 - put in a usb / ATA controller adaptater.
3 - Install OSMC on it with the SD card option and the HDD img.
4 - Once done, put back the HDD on the ATV and let it install.
5 - Do the update and be carful not interrupted, it take a couple of timeā€¦

Thanks to Sam and the team for given a new ATV life.

wow Pierre_Mosby is it anyway to see the files on the usb or HDD so once i setup my ATV1 addons i can copy or clone them to the next drive and save some time

Iā€™dont really understand what you mean?
Do you want a list of OSMC files installed in my ATV HDD?
I suppose itā€™s really the same as the USB install!!

This is what i did to get it to work without the USB

Install it with the USB to HDD option, while having the USB plugged in to the following

sudo umount /dev/sda1
sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sda1
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /boot

Run that until you can write to /boot, use sudo touch /boot/test to see if it mounted R/W
Basically it mounts sda1 as Read only unless you do the fsck.hfsplus then mounts it R/W

sudo cp /media/untitled/com.apple.Boot.plist /boot/com.apple.Boot.plist

or edit /boot/com.apple.Boot.plist and make sure root= is: root=/dev/sda2

sudo shutdown -h now

Remove the USB and power on

Should now install again but this time it will work, next time it restarts and not loop the formatting/installation process!

2 Likes

Absolutely new to thisā€¦ Sergio_David, where do you type this command? Can you be more specific please?

Has anyone else tried this?

The simplest thing that worked for me was to use the HDD image. As Sergio_David said, I put my hard drive from the ATV and put it in a USB type adaptor, like an external enclosure. Used an image writing type of software, suppose any will work, then wrote the image to the hard drive.

Once complete, put it back into the ATV and booted it up and it completed the install. Was fairly simple if you are used to putting a drive into an enclosure. I didnā€™t have to do any commands in the ATV or Linux, did this all via Windows.

You use SSH to connect to the AppleTV, once it boots off the USB and it shows kodi, if you keep the USB it will work also!

You can connect to the AppleTV like so in terminal

ssh osmc@osmc

Then run the commands above to fix the problem it has with the hfsplus filesystem on /dev/sda1

I guess some people here just use Windows, no SSH clients on windows by default, with windows you always have to buy or get some third party software

Linux and Mac are way different if not better than windows, ssh, dd, ftp all built in via terminal

1 Like

Putty is good for Windows

Had been in a USB config (USB always attached) since OSMC for ATV1 came out. Re downloaded the HD version on another USB and tried the above instructions @Sergio_David. Once everything was done, removed the USB and rebooted. No success. After a couple of minutes, it showed an ATV icon with a question mark over it. Does not recognize the HD install. Am I doing anything wrong?

Nope - unfortunately doesnt work for me. Completed the steps, confirmed set as mounted R/W, however on reboot (with no USB inserted) re-installs and sits there ā€œinstalling filesā€ forever :frowning:

Have exactly the same experience. Perhaps @Sergio_David did also other magic to make it work :slight_smile:

Is the /boot/com.apple.Boot.plist file correct?

Connect the USB key you used to install and copy the file using

sudo cp /media/untitled/com.apple.Boot.plist /boot/com.apple.Boot.plist

Then reboot without the key, it should only do the install once and then work after that

Hiya Sergio_David

Yep, /boot/com.apple.Boot.plist points to /dev/sda2 as expected (i guess else the internal wouldnt boot at all).

Cheers
Paul

Hi Sam

Can you already call a date for a final solution to the bug in the internal HD install setup?

Thanks for your great work with the Media Center OSMC and all here in the community a happy new year 2016.

Cheers
Guido

I tried it and it works perfectly. Thank you very much. At first I did not check if the copy of the com.apple.Boot.plist file was done correctly. I started everything again from the beginning and voilaā€¦ Thank you very much