Hard disk installations now possible (Sorry, Coming Soon)

Hey wrxtasy,
Assuming I’m at this point: copied the OSMC_HDD.img to the internal hdd of the atv - partitioned as vfat.

I’ve dd the img to the /dev/sda1 like so:

dd if=/home/osmc/OSMC_TGT_appletv_20151123-HDD.img | dd of=/dev/sda1

After the procedure - which took a few seconds - I am expecting to see all the internal files of OSMC, in a navigable/readable format, would you agree? And not for example random characters/symbols as file names?

I just got curious and started playing with it. As a partial (and nice!) result I have rw access to the internal hdd.

Thanks for your time.

To clarify - i formatted my mSATA drive on my Mac as a FAT format. Then installed it internally, and now have a bootable OSMC USB drive that I am using to try and access the internal HDD. I do NOT know how to verify or validate the OSMC system can see the drive, how to reformat if i need to, or even mount it in this case. when I attempted the above technique this is the error I get:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo dd if=/home/osmc/OSMC_TGT_appletv_20151123-HDD.img | dd of=/dev/sdb2
dd: error reading ‘/home/osmc/OSMC_TGT_appletv_20151123-HDD.img’: Input/output error
32+0 records in
32+0 records out
16384 bytes (16 kB) copied, 0.0281897 s, 581 kB/s
32+0 records in
32+0 records out
16384 bytes (16 kB) copied, 0.147831 s, 111 kB/s
osmc@osmc:~$

suggestions?

sudo dd if=/home/osmc/OSMC_TGT_appletv_20151123-HDD.img of=/dev/sda bs=1M

1 Like

Yep the ol Linux guru Soli has it correct :smiley:

Think of it this way:
if = from = /home/osmc (ie the usb stick itself)
of = to = /dev/sda (the ATV’s HDD)

^I’m hardly a Linux guru, but yes, the atv initializes the internal drive before before usb.

Btw. Just saw the big big videoplayer commit, I wonder if we can get Kodi 17 working on the ATV. I’ll have a go with Ubuntu 16.04 lts (alpha) when I have some time.

good news is the command worked! the bad news is trying to boot off of the internal mSATA drive results in the ATV icon with a “?”

3 posts were split to a new topic: ATV1 USB Tuner not found

Not seeing any significant showstoppers for 16 or 17 yet, but 17 is pre-alpha.

Sam

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: ATV1 USB Tuner not found

Hi Sam

great work !!

having been a loyal CB then CB2 fan (along with most of my immediate family and extended family)

-Being quite anxious to revive the ATV1- as I am off on Christmas Holidays - I thought I would give a try to the copy the image to a HDD then place said HDD in apple tv method

1. downloaded apple HDD image to windows home computer
  2. unzipped said HDD image with win rar
  3. utilized a USB hard drive caddy
  4. targeted unzipped image to USB hard drive caddy with the HDD I intend to install in apple
  5. used the Win32DiskImager program to accomplish this task
  6. with the windows computer software selected “eject” the USB HDD caddy
  7. installed the HDD into the apple TV - powered up - presto :smile:
  8. worked perfect - went to my osmc - updates - manually pushed for updates
  9. plugged in a 4 port USB - powered hub
  10. plugged in a ORICO BTA-403 bluetooth adapter
  11. went to my osmc - networking -selected the bluetooth - paired my PS BD remote - it poped up - paired - again- presto - my PS3 BD blue tooth remote remote works perfect :smile
  12. went to my osmc - app store - installed TV headend server / SMB server / cron job scheduler
  13. once installed - rebooted
  14. went to my home computer - in the address line of a browser - osmc:9981 - presto tvheadend :smile:
  15. I am able to see my HD Homerun tuners - however i wish to use USB tuners
  16. plugged into my HUB a WinTV-HVR-950Q as well as a KworldUB435-Q V3
  17. SSH’d into the apple ran the command “lsusb”
  18. here is the output:

osmc@osmc:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 05ac:8241 Apple, Inc. Built-in IR Receiver
Bus 002 Device 030: ID 1b80:e34c Afatech
Bus 002 Device 029: ID 2040:7200 Hauppauge
Bus 002 Device 023: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (
Bus 002 Device 019: ID 05e3:0606 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 Hub / D-Link DUB-H4
Bus 002 Device 018: ID 05e3:0606 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 Hub / D-Link DUB-H4
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

1. looks good so far as device 030 is the 435-Q tuner and device 029 is the 950Q tuner
  2. then ran the command “dmesg | grep dvb” … nothing no response
  3. this is whereI am stuck - I am guessing the firmware for the 2 USB ATSC tuners is not loaded ?

I was on a roll - any help to finsh this off would be greatly appreciated

kindest regards

1 Like

Try it this way. taken from an earlier post of mine.:

Hi Spinner, yes I’ve within the last hour done another install this time using a 120gb Msata SSD Drive, firstly connected to the PC via USB to Sata connector, then using USBIT installed the OSMC_TGT appletv_20151123+HDD.Img to the SSD Drive, then connected the drive via Ide to Msata SSD adapter internally into the ATV1, booted up the drive, and within minutes OSMC was installed, manually installed some 1080 videos etc and proceeded to play, no probs at all. then booted up 4 times, and OSMC continued to boot into the Kodi, entered system and checked my storage details which were as follows:
Filesystem …Size …Used …Avail
/dev/root… 110g …1,3g …103g …2%
/dev/sda1 …245m …18m …227m …8% Boot.

Of course I’ll have to do a new install when Sam completes the new Internal HD Drive OMSC setup, but for the present its Happy Days.

To fetch this post up to date, the ATV1 continues to work, and apart from one sudden boot-up caused by myself switching between programs at high speed, has continued to give me high quality, full 1080 HD video.

A lot of folk seem to be struggling with the idea of opening up the ATV1 , and it’s ok for guys like me who have a number of these boxes to play with to tell you to take a chance, but the thought of knackering up the only box you have is a bit daunting, so guys take note of what Sam and the rest of the team tell you, "There is a bug in the internal HD install setup which they are working on, and a clean install will be made available very shortly."

A post was merged into an existing topic: ATV1 USB Tuner not found

I was playing with the atv and its partitions as, for some reason, my usb installation was incredibly unstable - every other reboot would result in a kernel panic. I later found out that was due to the ‘amazon basics’ usb hub I was using plugged to the atv.

I agree with you opening the atv may be a problem for many. But it is a marvellous thing to look inside! And it mostly requires the correct screwdriver :slight_smile:

No idea. The atv requires a small modification to the partition table to boot from usb, whereas it’s not needed when booting internally. But it should ignore this as long as it can read the actual partition.

You can try to zero out the internal drive and try again. I remember I had to do something similar to get a sata ssd drive (with an adapter) to be able to boot, but it might be unrelated.

Hi dpinna, just a thought on what you said regarding the USB Hub, I’ve been playing around with 3 ATV1s with all different configurations and found that the Hubs that I used would not work properly if I tried both the Usb install and the Internal hd using the Hub, but if I installed without the Hub with either succssful install’s I could then use the USB Hub with no problems. Worth a try Guys.

MondeoMan: What exact symptom did you experience with installing via the hubs ?
Not booting due to slow enumeration of the device ?
My hub worked fine, but I’d love to put your detailed info in the wiki.

Hi Spinner, I had two kinds of Usb Hub, one was a 4 port, and the other a 2 port, what they done was nothing, my attempts at a USB Flash drive install consisted of a few flashes, and nothing else, it failed to do anything, re-loaded the flash drive and attempted using the 2nd Hub, still a few flashes and nothing. after 4 to 5 attempts tried install to flash drive without the Hub, installed first attempt, I straight away connected the Usb Hub, installed both the Flash drive and Bluetooth adapter so to use my keyboard to download my needed apps, from now on in my Hub worked a treat.
The same things happened on my second ATV1, went for a HD install using my Flash Drive, failed a number of times in the Hub, so went straight to normal install in the usb slot, installed straight away, and apart from the bug in the HD install worked ok. since that time, and there has been many, I leave the hubs out until my install has finished and only then will I use a Usb Hub.
My conclusions based on the number of Hubs I tried are: Do not use the Usb Hub untill you have a fully working install, and that means, continuous booting up half a dozen times, of course all this will be pie in the eye until we have the clean Internal HD install.
Well Spinner I 've been working on Three ATV1s for the last couple of years, or correctly since the first Crystalbuntu came about, I’ve tried all sorts of configurations, including Dual Drives internally inside the Atv1, this was successful, but the gains were not worth the work involved, so I’ve ended up just changing the Hard Drives for Msata SSD Drives, this has made things a bit faster, and a smoother ride whilst jumping between the various folders, plus downloading etc, I myself am more interested in getting things to work, more than what we get after, and tend to drop out once my project has been successful, but I was pleased to return to the ATV1s when I heard that Sam was attempting to save us again, the work he and the team do is remarkable and well past my pay grade, I HAVE THE UTMOST RESPECT.

So with the hubs, the install stick would simply not boot ?
or did it fail during the installation ? (during “installing files” for example)

Yes Spinner, the install stick would simply not boot, It was as if the Hubs were not recognized, but once the normal install was carried out ie: in the ATV1 usb slot, both Hubs worked. ?. It must be noted that I only tried this with 2 different Hubs, and it is possible other types of Hub might work for some, but why use an hub to install, there is no possible need, because other uses for the Hub like Bluetooth adapter for keyboard and mouse only come into it after the install.

Thanks !
I’ll see if I can find my other hub and test it. I’m curious to see if it works. I know my other one worked during install.

I suspect it has something to do with how fast the stick, and the hub, respond at bootup.
What is interesting, is that it occurs on install, and not once the normal system is running.

I’ll put a recommendation in the wiki, to do the initial install with the stick directly connected.