Hard disk installations now possible (Sorry, Coming Soon)

EDIT :Which installer version are you using ?

Hi Spinner,
I’m talking about using the Internal HD Drive version, and opening up box and installing msata, which installs to itself, and works ok for me.
the file I’m talking about is OSMC_TGT appletv_20151123+HDD.Img

You’re right… wasn’t thinking clearly.

The bugged HDD installer version is assumed to be installed on sdb.
When booted It builds the boot and root partitions on sda
With the bugged version, the boot partition build fails when it moves/removes files from sda1

So you are taking the internal drive, mounting it externally, imaging it with the installer.
Since you are installing the image to sda originally it would probably work, even though the script would copy files from sda1 to sda1 :smile:

Hi Spinner, yes I’ve within the last hour done another install this time using a 120gb Msata SSD Drive, firstly connected to the PC via USB to Sata connector, then using USBIT installed the OSMC_TGT appletv_20151123+HDD.Img to the SSD Drive, then connected the drive via Ide to Msata SSD adapter internally into the ATV1, booted up the drive, and within minutes OSMC was installed, manually installed some 1080 videos etc and proceeded to play, no probs at all. then booted up 4 times, and OSMC continued to boot into the Kodi, entered system and checked my storage details which were as follows:
Filesystem Size Used Avail
/dev/root 110g 1,3g 103g 2%
/dev/sda1 245m 18m 227m 8% Boot.
Of course I’ll have to do a new install when Sam completes the new Internall HD Drive OMSC setup, but for the present its Happy Days.

Spinner / MondeoMan - So I attempted this exact process yesterday and got the Apple TV icon with a “?” flashing. Unless there is a Mac equivalent to USBIT i ran it in virtual box for restoring the image file. disconnected the drive and then connected it internally to the ATV1 IDE cable. Any ideas or suggestions?

Sorry cschmaltz my friend, don’t know a thing about Mac, why can’t you get a friend to do it for you on a PC, on the other hand there has been a lot of ATV1 owners that have failed to carry out this install, for a lot of different reasons. ??.

thats what i was saying i ran the USBIT in my virtual windows using Virtualbox to get it completed. I bought the IDE to mSATA adapter. its a little 32GB side drive which should be plenty for OSMC and Kodi etc. I did at one point get it to load off of the USB connection but then i got an error about a tar file i think was corrupted. Do I need to format the drive a special way prior to “restoring” it using the above image file. I have the Crystal 70015 or whatever card installed in it. no Wifi. A network cable that i know works and the HDMI cable. Basic stuff. Just trying to figure out why it says not a bootable OS. And I don’t know of a way to mount the drive and get access to the files since its not a recognizable file system, by either Windows or Mac.

Hi cschmaltz, the thing about this install is that it is only a temp install, we are expecting Sam the man to give us the real deal very shortly, I play about with these ATV1s on a daily basic, I have three on the go, all with different configurations, and this one you are trying being the latest of many attempts, but we all know that if we are patient and take a deap breath the Latest OSMC HD install will be available soon, It sounds like you have all you need to do this when the file is ready, The Crystal HD Card, HDMI Cable, Network Cable, Power Cable, etc bye the way, are you setting this box up with the lid off the ATV1, can you see the light on the msat lit up, I have in the past connected the adapter the wrong way around, and then the light won’t light up, there could be lot’s of reasons for it not working, perhaps it won’t work using virtual box, but that is something I know nothing about, try it again, you have to clean off the msata ssd drive and start again, leave me know.

I’ve tested using windows running in a VM to block copy disk images and it failed.
Same app in bootcamp worked fine.

I’ve been told by others that using block copy software (including dd) in a VM is not a good idea.

EDIT: FWIW I use simply command line dd in OSX. (of course using dd is very risky if you are not 100% what you are doing)

Yes that is the easier way. dd the OSMC HDD installer image to the ATV’s HDD without having to physically remove it.
Its only for users that know what they are doing and how to go about it in the first place.

Big hint: Have a look at the DIY Crystalbuntu dd installer Mini Guide I wrote a while back.

Link? :slight_smile:

1 Like

And if you are really clever, you will realise that you can SSH into OSMC, that is running from the usb stick and copy the HDD.installer.img to the usb stick somewhere, Then dd the HDD.installer.img straight to the ATV1’s HDD.

This is all untested by me at the moment, but the concept is exacly the same as the Crystalbuntu2 dd .img install to the ATV1’s HDD.

3 Likes

I’m using the device installer for OSX and when i try to do a osmc install the only option is to do an install on sd card, i can’t click anything else…?

Don’t worry about that. USB or HDD installation is chosen when you pick the image version, as preseeding is not available for AppleTV.

Sam

Ok, this seems different to me, how do I pick the image file? Or what do I choose. I’m not overly tech savy but used your old crystalbuntu installer with 0 issues .
Any hep would be great
Cheers

Hello

The hard disk installer is not yet available, but if you select 2015.11 (USB), you can use a USB installation

Sam

hi can you please tell me how you got to restore the atv os as i would like to do this to mine and restore it to factory settings to start over again

cheers

ste

Restore ATV OS:

For what it’s worth, the common reasons to restore to the original ATV OS are:

1. want to go back and use the ATV software for some reason.
  2. Need to set AV output to “RBG High” in the original OS, if you haven’t done it before. (This is impossible in Linux)
  3. You need to update the HDMI firmware via installing original ATV OS 3.0.2 or higher. (If your ATV1 had an updated original OS on it at one time, you won’t need to do this again)

You don’t need to reinstall the original ATV OS if you are installing/reinstall another OS.