Hard disk installations now possible (Sorry, Coming Soon)

i finally got it running, but it does crash a lot…i assume that’s due to the flakey mythtv pvr, so i just won’t try dangerous moves like rewind/ffwd;-}

there are major freezes, however, i assume when the slow usb stick is accessed, but when moving around in the menu?

and live tv is extremely jerky, dunno if there’s something wrong w/my network, but playing recordings over nfs mounts on my minimac/eyetv/vlc has no issues…

hope the hdd issue gets sorted soon

i had the same issue with the 2 sticks I have. I switched to using an MicroSD in a USB card reader and It’s running well. Even better since the Nov update.

My media drive is a remote nfs share and I can play 1080P smoothly with fairly quick resume after skipping ahead.

I’m using a wired connection FWIW.

i’ll try another sd/reader…1st 1 i tried gave me “no file system found” error, iirc

Had this been fixed?

both of my sd readers, and both sd & hdd installers, hang after installing files

Sorry to ask this but the first post is confusing (I see no time stamps in the first post to tell me if the warning in bold was posted before or after Sam’s message telling us he has repaired the problem?)

I was toying with OSMC on a thumb drive and it was working great with network shares but I could not get it to boot through a USB hub (I need a local content drive). I need to use an external drive for content because the ATV will not have network access once built. So, I tried several times with two different thumb drives to do a disk install so I could free up my USB with no luck. When it tries to boot without a thumb drive it keeps hanging on “Installing Files”. I am curious if this is a problem on my end or if I should just wait around a bit and see if an updated download/build pops up?
Thanks for all the work you have put into building this for us!

Sam’s post was in regards to him removing an installer message in the first ATV installer build, not the HDD install bug.(I’ve now deleted that post since it no longer relevant and evidently confusing)

It hasn’t been fixed yet, but progress has been made.

Changes other than just the HDD bug issue have been worked on too.
Some of them required changes to both ATV installer versions
I tested a USB install that includes those changes a couple days ago and that’s now working again.

Once the HDD version is working, both will be pushed to the servers, and an announcement will be made so everyone knows about it. Sam or I will also update the first post of this thread at that time.

Stay tuned.

FWIW I can’t wait either… the boss of my house is getting antsy about it. :blush:

1 Like

How to get logs from the installer if it won’t get past “Installing Files”

WARNING: The following info is NOT recommended for beginners.

Since the system isn’t fully up and running at that stage of the install, you’ll need to use netcat to get some log output.

What you need:

• a computer with linux running, connected to your network.
  • the ATV1 connected via wired/ethernet connection to the same network

Procedure:

1. Image a new install stick/card

2. Whe imaging is complete, mount the partition on the imaged card.

3. Edit the com.apple.Boot.plist and ADD debugip=x.x.x.x to the list of kernel flags.
    (use ip of computer you are using to connect to the ATV1)

Example:

<key>Kernel Flags</key> <string>console=tty1 root=/dev/ram0 quiet init=/init loglevel=2 osmcdev=atv video=vesafb intel_idle.max_cstate=1 processor.max_cstate=2 nohpet debugip=192.168.1.10</string>

1. Save the file, and unmount/remove the USB stick and put it in the ATV1

2. Run following via command line, on the Linux box:
    ncat -lvp 9999
    (obviously netcat can be used if required)

6)Boot the ATV1 with the usb stick and with ethernet cable connected

1. When the ATV1 connects to the Linux machine, type the following to start the installation:
    /usr/bin/qt_target_installer -qws &

2. Cut and paste the output to website http://paste.osmc.io
    then post link in forums with full explanation of hardware used, etc.

Hi, for those waiting for the HDD install fix you can actually install to the HDD if you are willing to remove the drive from the ATV (google how to remove the hdd from ATV1). Just burn the USB install image to the internal HDD connected to your PC with a PATA-USB adaptor. Then mount back the HDD into the ATV and it will work flawlessly. I did that since I wanted to install to mSATA drive.

1 Like

jeez i was wondering if that wouldn’t work…it’s only 8 screws!

ok back in bidness! still jerky live tv, & sliggish guide display, but that’s probably the mythtv plugin…w.a.f. tbd;-)

regesc:

One advantage of doing that workaround, is that you shouldn’t have to wipe the drive when the HDD fix comes out.

Did you end up with the partitions on the internal drive, the full size of the drive ?

Spinner: yes, endep up with 2 partitions, one HFS+ (small, 256MB or so) and the rest of the drive (29GB) was created as EXT4. I did not notice any significant gain in performance with mSATA and the box still gets very hot…

forgot to mention that my shared library is on a NAS, connected via wired ethernet…

Good that’s what the installer should do. 1 small hfs boot partition, and 2nd ext4 partition filling the remainder of the drive.
When the hdd installer is fixed and released, you won’t need to reinstall :smile:

Unfortunately, the rest of us who did an conventional hdd with bugged install will need to do a clean install.

Hi Spinner, I’m curious… does this mean that a HDD fix will be released (even if this still takes a while…)?

I’m just wondering whether I grab a mSATA-USB adaptor and wait a few weeks for it to be delivered, or if I’m better off just waiting for the HDD fix to come out.

Thanks,

Van

At this point it looks like a solution may have been found for the fact that journalled HFSplus is not fully supported in the official HFSplus driver :smile:

We’ll know for sure once Sam has had time to build it and testing is done.
He’s done some prelim testing and it looks good.

1 Like

You said burn the USB install image to the internal HDD. For us N00b’s for some of these aspects would you mind providing some clear step-by steps. I already have a working USB for the OSMC install, and I went and got a 32gb mSATA + adapter. Currently, the OSMC installer doesn’t even see it as a valid drive and trying to load the OE 6.0 kodi v15.2 unofficial loads nothing… I have already. I have all the necessary equipment just need some guidance on how to the the image portion. Would be greatly appreciated - so would my daughters :\ thanks.

Hi friend,
download Usbit and use instead of The OSMC installer, click on options, and tick the show non removable devices, (USB Hard Disk Drives) go back into device mode, and highlight your msata device, now glick restore, you’ll be asked to browse for the Osmc file, click on the file and bingo you should be home and dry.

This program Usbit also works with OE 6.0. But we should in fact be a little patient because Sam will solve the little niggles, and we will have to re-install all over again.