Hard disk installations now possible (Sorry, Coming Soon)

Yeah the current faulty HDD install isn’t fully on the HDD… The HDD partition bug makes it end up using the boot partition on the USB stick.

With OSMC, videos with H264 encoding are handled by the Crystal HD card. Others are handled by the CPU.
(Crystalbuntu was setup so other a few other codecs would be sent to the CHD, but it’s wasn’t reliable at all, so Sam disabled them for OSMC.)

Possible options to replace atv (the ones I would consider right now): Rpi, Rpi2, RpiZero, Amazon FireTV

The reason I don’t put Vero on the list is value for money. I’m quite happy with the raspberry pies I have running OSMC. If I understand correctly, the new RPi Zero, which costs ~$5 can run OSMC, like the first gen rpi a/b. I fail to see the added value in the Vero to warrent the added cost. Other people may have other needs and wants than me. I just want the simplest way to run Kodi, with decent usability.

I thought this thread was devoted to people who want OSMC on the ATV1, we do not want to constantly be told that it ain’t worth bothering with it, it is worth bothering, it’s a nice bit of kit which even now completes with the likes of Android, etc, I have Kodi installed on the PC, and a android box, and ATV1 and believe me I think that when it is up and running it will complete with the best. THREE CHEERS FOR SAM AND TEAM.

I have loved all of my atvs and sams work for years. Still have 3 atvs in use, so osmc is greatly appreciated. But I would not recommend buying one today, or investing in new ssds and things like that. The question came up so I offered my advice and my thoughts.

Remember a pata/msata adapter cost 3-5usd delivered. You can get 16gb msata ssds for 10usd or just over. It’ll give a nice boost and it’ll be money well spent.

alrighty i feel like a newbee, how do u write this image to a usb stick in order to install it to the hard drive? it was easy with oe, and crystal, but i need to know how to do it again?

thanks
j

u have any links to this apparatus? id love to convert mine as well, i got a few of these and want to install oe and this and compare…

It’s not available! I hadn’t seen the posts about the Vero 2 coming out soon.

Very interested about this. Are there any publically available specs? I searched but couldn’t find any…

Sam you talked about doing this “right”

I would suggest you restore Acceleration to an ON/OFF selection unless you continually want to keep fielding these sorts of questions, now and into the future. Keep everything standard.

Indeed. I am of the opinion that there is more risk of the user making a mistake from this however, and there is still the myth that acceleration must be toggled. We can simply put it in the Wiki under the FAQ

Sam

I can’t complete installation: I created the USB, inserted into Atv1 and boot… it run until the “Installing Files” step, that once completed remains forever. I extract the USB and reboot atv1. It is like it has a new installer running on disk, but still reach the end of Installing Files and then remain in that phase without starting OSMC. Help

Try a different USB stick, not all work, ideally one that has worked with CB before.

Sam

Hello there,

HDD Installation for OSMC runs through to the end and it appears the OSMC is installed.

As long as I do not take out the USB flash drive, can I use OSMC.

I can unplug the power cord and the ATV reboot and everything is working properly.

If I take the USB stick and reboot, the HDD is formartiert and the installation routine runs again without insurance.

Is this a known bug?

If so, there is already a solution?

I use the latest version of the installer for WIN 7 and the OSMC HDD Image.

Many greet
guibaa

Same error here.
Requires USB stick to be in.
Mitigation/work around, using usb hub to keep usb OSMC loader stick in and use peripherals.

This has been covered in multiple other posts.

Yes it’s a known bug.
An announcement will be made when the bug has been fixed.

Reinstalled on the same USB, now ok (except for the “USB bug”)
Tks

Thanks a lot Sam, I’ll give it a try NOW!
i’ll let you know if I face the same issue

25 posts were split to a new topic: Black Screen After Install On ATV1

Hi there!
How about someone with a successful HDD installation not make a backup file and upload for us to restore?

Thanks

I gave it 1st try and it installed successfully…after going a couple of configuration and setup steps, it froze up and i took the USB out to reboot. after reboot, it went to the same installation screens again and stucked at installation screen at full bar…I rebooted and tried with USB stick in and also without USB stick in. it just kept repeating and stucked at installing screen at full bar…:sob:

anyone experienced the same?