Install Crystalbuntu2 / Kodi - instructions for OSX or Windows users

Firstly to prevent a Pink screen on boot:
(You need to change RGB colour output in Front row as Linux can’t touch the VBIOS)

Boot the ATV1 into Apple Frontrow:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/HOW-TO:AppleTV_Installation/Prepare_for_Installation

OSX / Windows Users - Crystalbuntu 40GB image install:

Tools used:

• the OSX app Terminal

• Putty (Windows only - to log into OpenElec running from USB on the ATV1)
    http://www.putty.org/

Putty basic use:
http://www.tamingthebeast.net/articles6/ssh-unix-commands.htm

Steps:

1. Download the compressed 474MB / 40GB Crystalbuntu HDD image from:
    Google Drive - Virus scan warning

2. Install OpenElec to a usb stick, you MUST use the install-usb.mg.gz install.
    (ensure you have Internet access and an Ethernet cord attached to the ATV1)
    http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/HOW-TO:AppleTV_Installation

3. With OpenElec running on the ATV1 from usb. Use Cyberduck to SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) connect to the ATV1. Cyberduck will use Port 22 by default.
    Username: root
    Password: openelec
    You will need a usb stick that can store the 474MB crystalbuntu2.img.bz2 file size.

4. Navigate to the /storage folder found in the OpenElec / Cyberduck window and drag and drop the crystalbuntu2.img.bz2 file you downloaded earlier into it.

5. You then issue this command in OSX Terminal or Putty at the command prompt OpenELEC:~ #

dd if=/storage/crystalbuntu2.img.bz2 | bzip2 -d | dd of=/dev/sda

Feet up, this will take a couple of hours. Eat a few  ’s

Wait for the command prompt in Putty to appear again, then pull the Power cord and USB stick and reboot to Crystalbuntu2 / XBMC Gotham on the ATV1.

Then upgrade to Kodi Helix:

After that you may like to install Kodi Isengard Alpha2:

W.
:slight_smile:

8 Likes

This working ok for people?

It all rubbish, I’m making it all up to trick you. :scream:
But then again…
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229244&pid=2027724#pid2027724

hi after making the openelec usb install, i get the openelec symbol on the tv screen then a message saying need terminal for interactive repair, any ideas, thanks.

also how do you get a command promt openelec in terminal, and where does the usb key for crystalbuntu go if you pull the openelec key out it will just go back to apple boot

Have you actually connected an Ethernet cord and have internet access when booting the usb. ?
OpenElec install on the usb stick needs internet access.
If you pull the usb stick and reboot the ATV1 and you are back in Apple Frontrow.
Just follow the Steps and read carefully.

I just did this last night. It’s working great! Thanks! (Now, how do I backup my current image for safety?)

1 Like

With Crystalbuntu running on the ATV1:
Backup of ATV’s HDD, issue this command from OSX Terminal (Mac):

ssh atv@ip.address.of.atv "dd if=/dev/sda " | dd of=/local/chosen/storage/path/on/Mac/to/save/ATVbackup.img

Password: atv

Hint: Save any plain text file with the filename ATVbackup.txt
Next drag this text file into the terminal window when you get to this bit: dd of=
Delete .txt and replace with .img and now your saved HDD file will be called ATVbackup.img

Hi wrxtasy
Up to today, I have been running Crystalbuntu with xbmc 13,2 (Sam’s latest update) with CrystalHD and just followed your install guide to upgrade to kodi 14,2 (with CrystalHD)

Wow - it just works ! and your install script is great !! All data /adons is there etc :blush:

Only thing “missing” is the simple pvr klint (pointing to a file on a nas server with links to m3u )

Hi wrxtasy,

just wanted to say that you’ve got another satisfied customer:) To be sure, I deleted all addons from within Gotham and also my userdata before I followed your install script. 5min later Kodi was up and running.

Thx!

And that was actually my first bit of scripting in Ubuntu ever ! :wink:

Gotta thank Sam for introducing me to Ubuntu via the ATV1 and Crystalbuntu in the first place.
Coming from a Newbie start. I’ve learnt quite a bit over the journey, especially when official Crystal HD support was removed from Kodi. Really I think that has been the most rewarding aspect of the entire process ironically.

is there a update Kodi Isengard beta 2?

There can be and also a Kodi Isengard RC version but it will not have Crystal HD Hardware acceleration coded back into it.
Too much Kodi code has changed since Alpha2 and I have no time at the moment to revert and edit the master Kodi code itself.

I’m not seeing any significant new features between Alpha2 and RC that would benefit Kodi on the ATV1 anyway.

I install crystalbuntu 40GB image and update to kodi 14.2 It’s working great! Thanks Wrxtasy!!!

@wrxtasy - Nice :slight_smile: Very nice.

Is this like a summarized/ simpler cleaned up version of this discussions we had here?
https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/can-anyone-suggest-provide-a-crystalubuntu-2-mirror

Yes Simpler, cleaner and confirmed success by a bunch of users now. :smile:

Thanks. Another satisfied “customer” here. I have a Mac mini (mid-2010) running OSX 10.10.4 and Kodi 14.2, serving a raspberry pi running OSMC (2015.06-1), a MacBook Pro (OSX 10.9.5, Kodi, 14.2), an iMac (OSX 10.10.4, Kodi 14.2) and an ATV1 with CHD running wrxtasy’s Kodi 14.2 off a thumb drive. The remote devices get NFS shares from the mini (thanks AGAIN to wrxtasy!!) and MySQL. Everything works great!

I updated the mini from 10.6.8 specifically to be able to keep up with Kodi going forward. I’m seeing a MySQL roadblock for my ATV1 if it remains at 14.2 and the mini gets updated to 15; is that correct? Is there any good way to address the 15/14 disparity and make MySQL work. The main thing I’m looking forward to in Kodi 15 is the FF/RW improvement.

Or should I just cool my jets at 14.2 on everything and wait for OSMC for ATV, which Sam says will eventually update to Kodi 15 sometime after OSMC/ATV and Kodi 15 are both stable? I can be patient.

Or is there anything else (wrxtasy?) for ATV with CHD support in the works? Thanks.

Cheers. :smile:
You may have missed this bit that will give you Kodi 15 Isengard Alpha2, I’m not sure what MySQL compatibility it has. FF/RW works a lot better. It seems pretty stable this Alpha2 and even if it is not you can still backtrack and run the Kodi 14.2 install script again and get back to where you started.

I may try again and revert CHD support back into Isengard RC one more time…

Thanks @wrxtasy. I did miss that bit, though it’s clear as day. I’ll give it a shot once OSMC updates to 15 (which I need for the pi device).

1 Like

Thanks @wrxtasy
Tried it a couple of times and got it to work nicely.
Now to try using the spare ATV1 as a base for a low power quiet NAS.