Install Crystalbuntu2 / Kodi - instructions for OSX or Windows users

i tried and get an error message using cyberduck
“Connection refused apple tv”
i ping the ip address and it works
any suggestions?

I tried this out today on one of my atvs and it worked like a charm. Thanks a bunch for the effort :slight_smile:

I have got an 8 GB SSD in my Apple TV. Can I follow the same procedure or should I do something different?

I’ve got a 30GB SSD in my Apple TV. It seems that the 40GB image will not work on a smaller drive, or will it? Can someone please help? Thank you!

:slight_smile: Awesome. Just wanted to make sure I have the right BZ2 downloaded from the previous thread.
SHA1 Hash: 4c3374c6f5ea225a3a5ddc22d50ba309008d9e46

Should we add another pre-step on RESET of ATV OS before starting this? That way we can backup a fresh ATV OS for restore purposes and always have this way of installing CB2.

No there is no need as the OpenElec Wiki covers Restoring the Apple Frontrow OS:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/AppleTV#tab=Restoring_the_Apple_OS

Hi @wrxtasy
First off, thanks for all your hard work.
What is the possibility of getting a 30GB image?
I noticed a few other forum members, myself included, have upgraded the original 40GB HDD to a smaller SSD, thus not allowing us to copy the image over.
Thanks again,
Cobra

Hi!

I would really, really appreciate if someone created a 30GB (better 28GB) image. I am really looking forward to this! @wrxtasy - can you please, please do this for us?

Thanks!

This is very cool! Is there some way to run crystalbuntu2/kodi on the ATV1 from a USB stick?

That is, without a hard drive in the ATV1.
Thanks

Does this also work on a 160GB ATV install?

I attempted and when I start the “dd if=/storage/crystalbuntu2.img.bz2 | bzip2 -d | dd of=/dev/sda” command it disconnects the command line session. I waited about 5 hours and tried to to boot the ATV and it failed the boot process.

Thanks @wrxtasy you’ve brought life back into my ATV … Sam I can’t wait to see this new OSMC on ATV. Thank you very much for not forgetting about us original users =)

Got it. Problem fixed. Brain fade on my part. Went back and looked the the thread on the old forum. Working great on 14.2. Changed 160 GB drive to 40 GB, but thats no problem. Still waiting on OSMC, but that may be awhile based on the latest posts.

Isengard Alpha2 works whith CHD??

Hi guys,

@coolswing2 > make sure when you first run OpenElec from the usb stick you have the SSH server selected during the startup configuration. (Its not selected by default)

@josediaz > yes Isengard Alpha2 works with CHD

@DaveF > I knew you would figure it out eventually after retracing and following the steps carefully.

@cobrakazee > I have a 32gb mSATA SSD myself. If I could shrink the image I would have done it already. The only possibility of manipulation would be to mount the 40GB image in a Linux machine and play around with GParted. I don’t have a vanilla Linux machine.

For all other stick/SSD combos, we will all have to wait for Sam to release OSMC for the ATV1.

Thanks @wrxtasy!!!

Got everything installed, however when i try and enable AirPlay I am getting “Failed to Start” message?

This link is broken

Where can I find the instructions?

nvm. I scrolled through my old terminal commands and found the code.

sudo wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27641650/Crystalbuntu%20ATV1/Kodi14.2.Install.sh && sudo chmod 755 Kodi14.2.Install.sh && sudo ./Kodi14.2.Install.sh

it worked! I just pulled the power cord and usb stick out and rebooted back into crystalbuntu/xbmc gotham… but the links to upgrade to Kodi Helix and install Kodie lsengard Alpha2 is not working anymore…

sudo wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27641650/Crystalbuntu%20ATV1/Kodi14.2.Install.sh && sudo chmod 755 Kodi14.2.Install.sh && sudo ./Kodi14.2.Install.sh

Can you provide the link for the Isengard update script?