Hard disk installations now possible (Sorry, Coming Soon)

All quite on the ATV1 front guys, seems to have gone off the boil lately.

And that required bold text to convey youā€™re dissatisfaction? Why so impatient and pushy guy?

So we are not supposed to take time off for New Years and Christmas to spend quality time with our loved ones we should serve your needs first ? cause thats the message im getting from your BOLD text

Actually, there has been a lot of work done on OSMC, considering the holiday break. Much of it applies to all platforms.
I assume you are referring to the HDD installer, and that is being worked on.

Itā€™s kinda pointless to keep saying ā€œDid some testingā€ ā€œPatched the HFS driver and did more testingā€ etc.
You wonā€™t likely hear anything about it until itā€™s working and posted on the servers.

1 Like

Sorry guys,
I really did not give any thought into the sentence: All quite on the ATV1 front guys, seems to have gone off the boil lately. I certainly was not having a go at any of you hard working guys, and if it gave that impression Iā€™m sorry.
I myself had a very quite boring Xmas, and would have preferred to have stripped down and rebuild something, in fact anything, Iā€™m not happy until Iā€™ve taken something to pieces, so if I give the impression of being impatient, itā€™s probably true, but not against Sam or you helpers, but against myself, I canā€™t sit still for a minute. Anyway Guys, wish you all a Happy New Year.

Worked for me as well, thanks.

Worked for me as well, thanks for taking the time to list your steps :relaxed:

Thank you very much!!
Works as described by following the steps.

2 posts were split to a new topic: MythTV Issues on ATV

Good Evening everyone !

I bring you the news you have been waiting forā€¦

ATV HDD Installer

Hard Disk installations have been patched and tested. They will be available soon*.

• We are currently waiting for a fix for the MyOSMC addon. After the MyOSMC fix is verified, we will rebuild the January filesystems, and update the installers for each platform.

Thank you for your patience and a big thank you to Sam for his hard work in finding an elegant solution.

##An announcement will be made in the forums when the new installers are available.

5 Likes

Another dumb question. I installed USB version and select KODI interface. Looked fine. When I rebooted, it went to OISMC interface. How to I go back to Kodi?

I assume with Kodi Interface you refer to the confluence skin? If that is the case just go to Settings ā†’ Appearance ā†’ Skin

Fantastic news! Thanks for the update :slightly_smiling:

(Silly) Question: For those that took the plunge and used DD to copy the image to their HDDs, is there any difference with the HDD installer that will be released?

Cheers

Van

Great news. Will try reinstalling when the installer is up. Hopefully stability will improve over my current hdd install.

Face plant :slight_smile:

I followed elfninoā€™s instructions above and have my ATV1 booting from the hard drive. :):slight_smile:

I have run a few tests and am having a few issues.

One of my uses for the ATV is to drive a slide show of my wifeā€™s photos on a big screen TV in the living room. I have 10000 photos (5 to 10 MB each) in several folders and subfolders. I have had the following problems: 1) reboot when scanning photos in preparation for starting show, 2) Slide show freezing requiring power cycling.

I have also tried to stream a few videos from ā€œsources that shall not be namedā€. I encountered a lot of stuttering of video. (Believe me I tried a lot of sources)

I have a fair amount of experience with Kodi. I have had CB2 atv1s for a couple of years. I also have used Openelec on ATV1. I also use Amazon Fire TV and sticks. All of these have better performace than Iā€™ve seen yet in my tests of the OSMX ATV1 box

If there anything I can do on my end, please let me know.

BTW, I did see an update of OSMC load on my new OSMC ATV1 yesterday while I was testing. Unfortunately, it didnā€™t help with my issues. I am continuing to test OSMC, but I canā€™t replace my current boxes with it

Iā€™ve also had rebooting issues if doing anything else whilst scanning in new movies or TV shows.

No issues for me with playing media - playing from a Synology DS411j via NFS.

I would suggest a new thread, with logs.

The AppleTV is 10 years old. I canā€™t match performance to Amazon Fire hardware, itā€™s not a realistic target. Iā€™m sure we can get a bit more performance out of the ATV however. Where are you seeing this reduced performance? Please be as specific as possible. Keep in mind Kodi Isengard consumes more resources than older versions of Kodi.

Try playing back local content. Itā€™s almost always an issue with these ā€˜sourcesā€™.

Hi Sam, My HD install is working fine, watching varies comments about stuttering and reduced performance, I would like to add my observations and feel that video performance in a streaming device is 90% down to broadband speed from the source and also the receiver, if either has a poor broadband it will cause all the problems highlighted by the last post.
I have two Android media devices , one with 1gb Ram and the other with 2gb Ram, I have a Droidbox T8-S a Dual boot between Android and Openelec, this has 2gb Ram, I have Kodi installed on all including my PC and Laptop, and not to be forgotten my ATV1 and to be honest even with all the advantages the other boxes have Ram wise atv1 performance is equal to all the others, and I believe it is down to my XL Broadband.

I have used the procedure from earlier in this thread to get my ATV1 booting to OSMC from the HD. I am wondering what the chances are that the new version that we are all patiently waiting for will require a format and reload. It would be nice if the devices we have booting from HD now could upgrade in place.