Hard drive not always mounting

In my case, does not work.
After first reboot the HDD was not visible:
http://paste.osmc.io/difisuvita
After second reboot the HDD was visible again:
http://paste.osmc.io/lakonoyadi

And I’m on RPI 2 + USB powered HUB (d-link) with HDD attached on it.

From looking at your two provided logs you have a different problem to the one we are trying to fix in the thread you posted in - the issue that is being discussed there is that the USB device is connected and working but udisks-glue is unable to detect the file system type on the partition(s). This gives an error like this in the log:

Sep 10 18:02:42 osmc udisks-glue[325]: Device /dev/sda1 did not match any rules

The problem you have (from your log) is that your USB hard drive is not being detected at all by the kernel - if you search for ‘sda’ in both your logs you’ll see that sda is not even mentioned anywhere in the first log. This is a completely different problem, so I have moved your post to a new thread.

Furthermore there is something a bit fishy in your logs, in the second one where your USB drive mounts I can see a hard drive is connected:

Sep 14 07:20:09 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4.5.3: new high-speed USB device number 9 using dwc_otg
Sep 14 07:20:09 osmc connmand[235]: Connection Manager version 1.29
Sep 14 07:20:09 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4.5.3: New USB device found, idVendor=07ab, idProduct=fc88
Sep 14 07:20:09 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4.5.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=11, SerialNumber=5
Sep 14 07:20:09 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4.5.3: Product: Imation Apollo UX
Sep 14 07:20:09 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4.5.3: Manufacturer: JMicron
Sep 14 07:20:09 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4.5.3: SerialNumber: 33261F131A15
Sep 14 07:20:09 osmc kernel: usb-storage 1-1.4.5.3:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
Sep 14 07:20:09 osmc kernel: scsi host0: usb-storage 1-1.4.5.3:1.0

However in the first log there is no sign of the hard drive, but instead a Samsung phone appears:

Sep 14 07:17:35 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4.5.4: new high-speed USB device number 9 using dwc_otg
Sep 14 07:17:35 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4.5.4: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=6860
Sep 14 07:17:35 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4.5.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
Sep 14 07:17:35 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4.5.4: Product: SAMSUNG_Android
Sep 14 07:17:35 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4.5.4: Manufacturer: SAMSUNG
Sep 14 07:17:35 osmc kernel: usb 1-1.4.5.4: SerialNumber: 0019ac1f20a35e

Can you confirm that the hard drive was still connected or comment on the phone being connected in its place ?

Almost certainly your issue a hardware problem with the USB drive, USB hub or cabling/power adaptors if the USB device for the drive enclosure is not even detected at all by the kernel.

Yes, my son’s Samsung Galaxy S2 is charging over same USB powered hub.

So, do you still see the problem without the phone attached ?

Introducing extra variables like having a phone plugged in during one test and not another doesn’t help to diagnose the problem.

Sory, I’m busy last few days and can’t find any time for additional testing.
I will try in next days to test rebooting/mounting issue without phone attached.

Yesterday, I managed to reproduce the error again.
When I reboot RPI 2 the USB drive wasn’t visible.
Here is the log: http://paste.osmc.io/menekotiqo
After another reboot the drive was visible.
A this situation, I did not attach any smartphone on USB powered HUB. It was just the USB drive attached to it.
Shoul I maybe check the usb_max_current in settings?

max_usb_current=1 is only useful if the hard drive is powering directly from the Pi’s USB port. If you are using a powered hub, the power supply for the hub provides power to both the hub and the devices connected to the hub, making the setting of max_usb_current irrelevant.

Beware though: If the power adaptor for the hub is faulty or not plugged in, most hubs will revert to trying to draw power from the host USB device, in which case now your hub and all the devices connected to it will be trying to draw their power from the USB port on the Pi - this is unlikely to work.

Unfortunately there is nothing in your log at all about your hard drive - no USB device is detected, so this is definitely a hardware fault of some kind.

I would check the power adaptor for the hub, check all the USB cables etc…there’s nothing really that can be done to diagnose this issue on a software level.

One to watch out for:
Hubs with more than 4 ports are stacked hubs (usually have 7 ports) - I’ve had a couple of these which I no longer use as you don’t always get all the ports (the ‘second’ lot go missing).
Derek

1 Like

Yes, I do have HUB with 7 ports, but HDD is connected on one of two high-powered ports.
http://us.dlink.com/products/connect/7-port-usb-2-hub/

I forgot to say that in one of RPI-s USB ports I had a RC Measy 11 air mouse dongle. Now, I disconnected and that, so I have only USB powered HUB and nothing more.
I’l test it today. If mounting problems appears again I will try with new HDD.