I used to have a Philips soundbar which died after two years (arghh), which was connected to my Raspberry Pi 3 and then connected to my TV using ARC.
Since the soundbar is no more, I've decided I would try to improve my setup, also replacing my TV by a nice projector. Then, my requirements would be:
- Minimal cabling: Ideally, the raspberry would be close to the projector, which (I think) means the sound system should be wireless, since the projector will be sitting behind my couch.
- Sound: I'm happy with 2.1 right now, although I would like to keep myself open to upgrading this in the future.
- I would also like to add the possibility of playing music from my raspberry pi to my bedroom, using some kind of wireless system.
- Price: Below 1000$, but I should be able to spend more if needed. My point is I don't need super high end sound, so I'm willing to pay for features but not for super incredible sound quality.
- Nice to have: bluetooth sound, so I can use headphones when I want to be quiet. Independent "play zones" would be nice, but very low in the list of priorities.
- Coding: I don't mind if I need to code a bit to make some things work (I am reasonably proficient in python).
I've done quite a bit of research and I've arrived at the conclusion that things like Sonos are a no go, since I think I need an AV receiver. Then I saw the Denon HEOS and Yamaha MusicCast, which look quite promising (but quite expensive!). Are these the best options or could/should I go more "custom" or simple?
All recommendations/experiences are very welcome!
Thanks a lot in advance,