Hauppauge WinTV-DualHD Support

Hi,

I was just wondering if it would be possible to apply the below patch for added support for the above USB TV tuner? I know currently it’s only working for 1 tuner but it’s better than nothing.

https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/33811/

Thanks.

Can you explain in a bit more detail what this patch is meant to do?

Will it cause regressions for other users? Does this tuner not work at all on OSMC?

I’m a bit of a linux noob but from my understanding it will add driver support for the WinTV-DualHD USB stick but only 1 of the 2 tuners.

The tuner is not being recognized, below is dmesg

[ 3.117078] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[ 3.217808] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=2040, idProduct=0265
[ 3.217823] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=1, SerialNumber =2
[ 3.217836] usb 1-1.3: Product: dualHD
[ 3.217846] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: HCW
[ 3.217858] usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: 0011559249

Sorry, I’m not too sure what you mean by regressions for other users?

We need to make sure that it doesn’t break anything. It seems to touch em28xx code which is used by other tuners. It’s important to make sure that we don’t break someone else’s hardware by adding support for this.

The patch looks to have been accepted in to the kernel in April, so it’s probably in kernel’s > 4.4. If you could build the patch locally and test it, that would be useful.

• Clone OSMC repo on your device
  • Drop the patch in packages/kernel-osmc/rbp-099-fix-em28xx.patch (assuming this is for Pi)
  • cd package/kernel-osmc
  • make rbp2 (for pi2/pi3)

dpkg -i the rbp2-image package and see if it helps

Thanks Sam. I’ll give it a shot.

So did everything as above and I think everything went ok but it’s still not picking up the tuner and dmesg is still showing the same.

I’m not sure if it applied the patch though? How can i be sure if it is applied? I dropped it in packages/kernel-osmc directory. Does the Make cmd automatically pick up all patches from there?

If you named it correctly, yes. It needs to follow the naming scheme of other patch files.

You can redirect stdout to a file and check the log after build.

Needs to be package/kernel-osmc/patches directory.

So I’m very happy to report I’ve got it working! :smile: The patch applied with
no errors as well as the image install. Still only 1 of the dual tuner is
working though I can live with that.

Thank you Sam for your guidance to help me though this. You
are a legend!

One question is I presume
if OSMC updates it will use the new kernel? If so is there a way to keep using
the one I rebuilt?

It would also be good to see if the patch will cause
regressions as Sam mentioned above? Is there a way I/we can test this?

It will replace it. You can stay on the old kernel, but that will introduce problems of its own over time and you will stop getting improvements from us.

I would recommend instead you submit the patch (pull request) to our GitHub repository. Then we can include it for all users.

My understanding is you said that the tuner did not work at all beforehand. If the patch only touches this tuner, then it should be OK to get merged. I am not sure if em28xx chips are used in tuners that other users are currently working OK with OSMC.

Sam

No worries Sam. I’ll let you know how I go.

Thanks for all you’re help again.

Edit: PR submitted