Have a seperate remote that isn't seen by kodi

I currently have a RPI that has a USB IR receiver to receive IR signals from a remote (let’s call this remote B). This RPI then relays these keypresses to my Chromecast to send Pause/Play commands (so I can use my IR remote to pause/play when playing netflix on my Chromecast). Works perfect!

Now, since I have a cool Vero4K+ next to it, I wanted to use this instead of the RPI. I’m using the RF remote and a MCE remote (let’t call this Remote A) for Kodi.

Since the Vero doesn’t know remote B, and the RPI doesn’t know the RF and Remote A, there are no issues.

Things I’ve changed:

• I’ve created a custom lircd.conf file that contains remote A and remote B.
  • I’ve changed /lib/udev/rules.d/98-lircd.rules to point to my custom lircd.conf file.

irw now correctly processes ir events from Remote A and Remote B (and also from my RF remote), but they both seem to originate from linux-input-layer, therefore I can’t differentiate between the two events.

It seems eventlircd has a way to start a 2nd lirc process that has a different socket, but I’m not sure how to set this up. Is there a way so I can have the 2nd remote on a different lirc socket so kodi doesn’t see these events?

EDIT: I’ve forgot about this. I would like to plug that USB IR receiver in the Vero, so I can blast IR to my TV to turn on. Also, this works fine with the rpi, and I can probably use irsend to do this, but then I need lirc socket to do this.

You don’t have to do this…you can simply do the following as root:

ln -s /etc/lirc/custom-lircd.conf /etc/lirc/lircd.conf

As for splitting/separating the remote signals…you aren’t doing this on the Pi, right? So, is this all the Pi does, and is your goal to retire the Pi? If not, then leave things as they are, since you’ll need to keep the Pi for the other things it does.

Sure, but I would like to have a seperate lirc process for this (since remote b should not go to kodi), and the default should actually stay the same.

I’m not splitting anything. The PI listens to Remote B, and the Vero listens to RF and Remote A.

The only thing the PI does is receiver IR events from remote B, and send them over MQTT to Home Assistant (that notifies the Chromecast). When it receives a MQTT message, it emits an IR pulse it to my tv to turn on/off. It also does this with CEC messages (to notify Home Assistant what HDMI devices are turned on/off and to turn the on/off). This works fine, I just need the splitting of lirc instances.