Have your pastebin *not* create random names containing dots

Yes, seriously :slight_smile:

OK, so this has to be about the lowest of the lowest of low priorities, but if someone’s bored for 5 minutes it would possibly benefit from being fixed.

The random names created in the OSMC pastebin can sometimes look like a filename with an extension. For example, I recently clicked on a link in a “Help & Support” post and “Chrome” (yes, this may be browser specific …) downloaded what it thought was a “.tex” file rather than opening the actual page. Then, of course, Windows didn’t know what to do with it (not being familiar with TeX or LaTeX files :slight_smile:). If there are no periods in the names generated then even Windows won’t be able to get confuuuuuused about it …

Keep up the most excellent work folks! :slight_smile:

Can’t say I have ever seen this happen, and I have read a lot of paste.osmc.io log files…

A browser should be using the mime-type of the page not the “file extension” when deciding what to do with it. This is standard http/html practice. The mime type is always the same for pasted log files.

1 Like

Which browser are you using?

I believe our Pastebin sends everything as text/plain (MIME) so your browser shouldn’t get confused.

Resolving paste.osmc.io (paste.osmc.io)... 159.253.212.250
Connecting to paste.osmc.io (paste.osmc.io)|159.253.212.250|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 
  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
  content-type: text/plain
  Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 14:19:06 GMT
  Connection: close
  Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Length: unspecified [text/plain]
Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

[ <=>                                   ] 1,033       --.-K/s   in 0s    

Sam

1 Like

Gentlemen, yes, I’d entirely agree with both of you (though actually it might be the MIME type which is triggering the problem).

However, out of interest, what do your browsers make of this: http://paste.osmc.io/yurujapewi.tex - that was the one which did (and does) confuse “Chrome” on my PC.

Of course, YMMV :slight_smile:

Thats the one i was looking for.

I use chrome and it downloads the file instead of opening the page.

1 Like

A) Thanks @CaNsA, for confirming I’m not going completely mad :slight_smile:
B) Yes, I had a bit of trouble finding it - I was searching my history and it wasn’t there. Then I realised it wasn’t in my page history because “Chrome” thought it was a download, and that’s where (eventually!) I found it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, stumbled upon that exact paste a few days ago… :sweat_smile:

Opera 36 and Firefox 45.0.1 ‘think’ that there’s a .tex-file that needs to be downloaded, IE11 simply shows the paste instead…

1 Like

Good grief - you’re telling me there’s something Internet Exploder does right? Wow - made my day :slight_smile:

Firefox misbehaves too with .tex, but I do have Texmaker on this system.

I’m sure @marktheis can make sure the extension is always .txt.

Sam

1 Like