HDD freeze while starting playing movies

I’ve been experiencing some permanent freezes on my vero 4k+ while trying to play some media from my external USB HDD. The freeze isn’t instant the moment I try to open the video nor does it always occur at the same timestamp, but It more than not, it does occur. I think higher resolution content triggers this more.

I probed around in dmesg and saw these errors coincide with the freezes.

[Wed Jun 26 11:49:39 2019] aml_spdif_dai: set divider = 2 for i2s shared clock
[Wed Jun 26 11:49:39 2019] aml_audio_hw: IEC958 PCM32
[Wed Jun 26 11:49:39 2019] hdmitx: audio: aout notify rate 44100
[Wed Jun 26 11:49:39 2019] hdmitx: audio: aout notify size 32
[Wed Jun 26 11:49:39 2019] hdmitx: audio: hdmi_ch: 0 speaker_layout: 0
[Wed Jun 26 11:49:39 2019] hdmitx: audio: no update
[Wed Jun 26 11:49:52 2019] usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using xhci-hcd
[Wed Jun 26 11:49:52 2019] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 1.
[Wed Jun 26 11:49:52 2019] usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using xhci-hcd
[Wed Jun 26 11:49:52 2019] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 1.
[Wed Jun 26 11:49:52 2019] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: xHCI xhci_drop_endpoint called with disabled ep ffffffc05fa92500
[Wed Jun 26 11:49:52 2019] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: xHCI xhci_drop_endpoint called with disabled ep ffffffc05fa92540

I tried to stream the file over the network to my laptop and same problem. Already checked the disk with fsck and it didn’t log any errors.
Furthermore, I can continue to ssh into the vero but any action that interacts with the HDD freezes that shell (E.g. df, ls /media/data). Can’t even shutdown the vero gracefully as it just hangs in the shutdown log waiting for ever.

I bring this to the OSMC forum instead of ruling this as a HDD hardware failure because If I connect the same HDD to my old pi3, I can play the file locally and over the network without running into the issue.

Anything you guys can think of?

We need complete logs, not just this snippet.

Is the drive self powered, connected to powered USB hub, or getting power directly from the Vero?

Just the complete logs from dmesg or kodi.log as well?

powered directly from the vero

That is not recommended. A powered USB hub will probably solve your issue.

From your logs so far it looks like the drive isn’t getting enough power. We recommend using a powered hub.

I have a powered hub laying around, gonna try that.

Also, could the vero temperature affect this? Been trying to reproduce the error to get the logs with my closet drawer opened, once I closed It triggered it (about 65ºC by cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp)

65 is fine.

What’s likely happening is you when you do something demanding, there isn’t enough power to go to your drive

Sam

Temperature is probably not the problem. 65 is fine. If I remember correctly, up to around 95C is when thermal limiting start.

Couldn’t reproduce it so far while using the powered usb hub.

Thanks

1 Like

Good to hear that.

You have same problem with me. I’m gonna use Y cable once it delivers.
Plus, my vero 4k’s temperature is going up to 107C when I do encoding my media. But it’s still okay so don’t worry.

107C is getting close to the dangerous range. Exactly how are you encoding your media as that should not be putting much load on the Vero unless you are using the Vero to do the encoding.

I use ffmpeg and try to encode my media in order to watch using my phone. (reducing a resolution only)

When I use 3~4 threads, it goes up to 107C but recently I only use 1~2 threads so it goes up to 96C usually.

Is this okay then?

It won’t hurt the Vero as it will slow the CPU down to prevent damage. But I’d think that using a PC would be far faster than using the Vero for that.

I know that but since I have many media files, I wanted to have like thumbnail. (1080p, 540p etc…)

I made it automatically so once a new file is downloaded, ffmpeg is starting automatically and make it small one.

I’m going to use 1~2 threads for it!