HDDs don't spin up

Hello everybody,

I have the following issue: in my system everything works, but when HDDs spin down, system can’t wake them up again. Even if I reboot, I can clearly see that system can’t unmount them and at reboot it can’t mount them again. I have to physically turn the enclosure off and then turn it on again to force spin up. It’s like Pi would have lost control of HDDs.

My configuration is as follows:

Raspberry Pi B+ 512 MB
HDDs: WD10EZRX + WD30EZRX in Inateck FDU3C-2 enclosure
Last version of OSMC

Any suggestion is welcome!

Is the HDD selfpowered or powered by the rpi ? might be a good idea to provide logs

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. Please see How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC for advice on how to help us.

HDDs are selfpowered through own enclosure’s supply.

I’ll try to get a log with this issue as soon as possible. In the while, I can describe what I can reproduce manually trough hdparm.

If I send hdparm -C /dev/sdexample , everything is ok, disk is active/idle.

After that hdparm -y /dev/sdexample, disk goes to standby mode, but it wakes up if I send, i.e., a ls command on that.

Then, hdparm -Y /dev/sdexample, disk goes to sleep mode and it’s impossible to communicate with it (including unmount) again. I have to turn everything off and then restart.