HDHomeRun

Hi,

I’m looking to add live TV to my current OSMC setup. I like the idea of the distributed architecture because I only have single TV connection but would like to stream to multiple locations in my home (possibly over WiFi).

I’ve been looking at getting a HDHomeRun box, can anyone confirm they have this working with OSMC? Also any pitfalls or negatives?

Thanks,
Jack

OSMC supports the HDHomerun. Kodi does as well, but we also include the kernel module so it can be used outside of Kodi (in PVR software like TVHeadend for example).

I believe @Dilligaf knows a lot about these devices.

I’ve got a couple HDHR devices with cabel cards. There is a native HDHR addon that works but doesn’t record at this time, it is promised for the future. I use PvrWMC with Windows Media Center as the backend and it has no issues. TVheadend and others also support the HDHR. In my opinion it is one of the best tuners for Unite States cable reception. The only downfall is premium hannels such as HBO will not work in Kodi. The HDHR View app on Anroid will play premium channels as well as Windows Media center locally but not on connected clients.

Thanks for your replies, very useful.

So if I wanted to use HDHR and record I would be best off using tvheadend? I’ve got 3 RPI’s if that makes any difference.

I think so yes. TVHeadend with HDHomerun compatibility is available from the OSMC App Store, so it shouldn’t be too difficult to set up.

Sam

TVHeadend would work, I use Windows Media Center with ServerWMC here Kodi Community Forum - Windows Media Center (WMC) most/all backends have HDHR support.
I’m unsurew how TVHeadend works on the PI as it has been a while since I’ve used it, a Pi3 or Vero 2 would probably do pretty well

Thanks for your help, I’ve just ordered one so I’ll let you know how I get on.