HDMI CEC Issues - LOSING. MY. MIND

Hi Guys,

I’ve tried my absolute BEST to fix this on my own - but I am pulling my hair out to the degree I want to rip all of my A/V gear out and throw it away.

After a few hours of mucking about with endless remotes in order to get all the HDMI handshakes working correctly, whereby I could click the ‘Home’ button on my Vero V remote, and in turn that would turn on my soundbar (Samsung Q930D) and subsequently my TV (Panasonic S90), but crucially then when I turned the power off on the TV remote it then would in turn switch off the soundbar and put Vero into suspend mode… I had to turn off all my power in order to have a new gas smart meter fitted and it seems EVERYTHING has reset. What I thought would actually be a very quick fix again (as I’d since worked it out) is proving anything but, and I’m totally at my wits end.

Essentially, once the power was switched back on after the smart meter install, I followed the following:

  1. Disconnected all HDMI cables between the Vero > HDMI Auto Switcher > Soundbar > TV. I also unplugged the power cables for all devices to let the handshake protocols reset.

  2. I then connected all HDMI devices back together and turned back the power to the TV first, followed by the Vero and Soundbar. The Soundbar was defaulting to TV ARC (trying to take a signal from the TV, which is useless as all streaming apps are on my PS5 and AppleTV, I don’t require the TV to send a signal to the Soundbar at ALL). As such, I switched the input on the Soundbar to HDMI so it outputted Vero’s signal to the TV.

  3. I then went into the Input > Peripheral > HDM-CEC section of Vero and changed ‘HDMI Connected to…” from TV to AVR/Amplifier (this is crucial), and also set the rest of the behaviours to TV and Amplifier/AVR so that when the TV is powered off it then in turn sends a signal to switch off the Soundbar and sends the Vero into Suspend/Sleep mode.

A few days ago it seems I cracked this perfectly and couldn’t have been more thrilled.

HOWEVER - now, despite all the same steps as a few days ago when I got it working, whenever I turn off the TV and Soubar/Vero also shut off, when I then click the home button to fire it all back up, the Soundbar defaults to TV ARC, so I have to manually switch to HDMI… and, worse, when I go back into the CEC settings in Vero instead of ‘HDMI Connected to…” being set to AVR/Amplifier as I’d had it, it has for some reason gone back to TV…

Does ANYONE know how I might resolve this? I’m aware a lot of the time HDMI-CEC is a luck of the draw, but I just refuse to accept I got it working absolutely perfectly not even a week ago and now it’s as screwy as it had been in the months before I sat down for several hours, read forums about CEC and followed lots of different guides for fixing handshake issues.

In desperation! :sad_but_relieved_face:

Tom

CEC is like cancer; you need to purge it from your system!

1 Like

Doesn’t you TV and/or soundbar have an option to turn ARC off? If not then check to make sure the HDMI cable between the TV and soundbar is connected to the correct ports for ARC. If you have ARC on and it has to be connected to HDMI 1 (this is just an example, I know nothing about your hardware) and the soundbar is connected to HDMI 2 then whenever the TV gets a wakeup signal then it probably will switch to whatever the ARC device is suppose to be at HDMI 1, not necessarily where it is at at HDMI 2.