HDMI-CEC Remote config

Im new to OSMC, and have one big problem with it, I don’t know where to get remotes config and there’s no default config for my remote which is Samsung Smart Control RMCSPB1GP1(photo pinned)

That menu is for IR remotes, if using CEC you don’t need to configure anything

Is CEC control enabled on your television?

Yep, checked twics

I have the same remote. CEC is enabled .

But it’s true that using CEC with this remote is not very user friendly.

I am looking forward to use anothey way (LIRC ?) but on my side this not very intuitive the way we configure button o behavior.

I don’t have any knowledge on that particular remote but the way it generally works is that with an OEM TV remote if you have the option enabled in the TV’s settings then when a CEC enabled device is the active input the TV forwards some of the remotes buttons to the active device. This will frequently be something like direction and media control buttons getting pushed but not the menu button and some others. Basically the TV needs to reserve some buttons so you can still control your TV but others like the direction button are not used on the TV unless you have some kind of menu or app open on the TV itself. The default options for all devices that run OSMC is for allowing this kind of input. If the TV isn’t forwarding commands that is something that you would need to figure out with your TV settings.

Some OEM remotes have the ability to act as universal remotes and when used in that type of setup may be sending out IR signals instead for forwarding CEC commands. In this type of setup it would be configured to send commands as a device type listed in the remotes section of the My OSMC add-on and that type of device would be set in that add-on to match. In this type of configuration you would need a IR receiver. The Vero’s have these receivers built in, Raspberry Pi’s do not.

As far as I’ve experienced the newer Samsung remotes (the design as shown in the picture) lack a long press functionality. Entering the menu context aka right mouse button menu or c for the keyboard people is not possible with this remote.
Only the super basic playing capabilities will be accessible.

For my use case I can’t work with the new remote. I prefer the app Yatse (only Android)
An old Samsung remote will have this function or the Kore app

Kodi does not support long-press actions for CEC input. I don’t even think that function is part of the CEC protocol. Additionally, IR remotes running through LIRC (ie the remotes configured in the remote section of the My OSMC add-on) to Kodi do not support long-press (at least not in OSMC). The workaround for CEC and the context menu option is basically to figure out which button the TV forwards that you are willing to give up and keymap the context menu to that. For example it may forward the play button and you could use that for global context menu since you can still play items with the select/OK button. If one wanted to use their universal IR remote and have long-press functions then IMO their best bet is to purchase a FLIRC USB dongle as their IR receiver.

Ok. Thank you but can you detail a little bit more how to to do that ? I am very interested to do it on my side

Sure, I’d start off by having a bit of a think about where exactly you want what button to do what. They can be set global and override on a per window basis. So for sake of this example let’s say that we want to make our play button bring up the context menu everywhere. You would install the “Keymap Editor” add-on from the Kodi repository and then in that add-on go to edit>global>navigation>context menu>edit> then click the play button. This should return a 3 digit number for CEC. If it does nothing when you press a button that button is probably not being forwarded by your TV and isn’t available to use. you would then press cancel, or use the back/return button on your remote to get back to the first screen and then click save. The change should be live and the play button should act as a context menu button everywhere except where it has been mapped by default to a specific window (see Kodi’s keymap wiki if you want to understand more). Lets say you now want that play button to act as a pause/play button when you are playing fullscreen music. You would then go back to Keymap Editor edit>visualization>playback>play/pause> and set that to the play button as well and save the map.

You can go much further than what this add-on offers as well if you manually create/edit maps. As a matter of fact when I brought it up as a reference right now I noticed that somehow the video window was missing (ie what maps to movies and shows) even though it had the videos window (file view) as an option.

1 Like

Thank you for this. Now I have some work for this christmas …

Merry Christmas and happy new year !

1 Like