HDMI CEC troubleshooting

Are there any tools available to troubleshoot HDMI CEC problems (other than OSMC log dumps)? I want to do all I can to make sure this isn’t an issue with my gear before I open a ticket with OSMC.

Backstory: Samsung QLED TV, Marantz SR5012 AVR, Vero 4K+. I normally turn everything on/off by suspending/resuming the Vero, but that quit working a few months ago for no apparent reason. A couple of weeks ago, volume control also quit working (audio is set for passthru to Marantz). I replaced the HDMI cables, no effect. No idea why this is happening but I can’t rule out it being a problem with my gear and not the Vero. If I had some way to troubleshoot HDMI CEC I could likely determine if it’s my gear or whether I need to open a ticket.

More backstory: if I manually suspend the Vero and manually power off the TV/AVR, then resume the Vero, nothing else powers on. HOWEVER, if I set the shutdown timer on the Vero and let it auto-suspend, everything powers off properly AND resuming powers everything on EXCEPT the TV. As you can imagine, this is perplexing.

Most things about CEC are perplexing. Can you upload logs so we can see your settings?

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

The answer to your first question is yes, there’s something you can monitor CEC with. It’s called cec-client but the documentation is pants.

1 Like

Turned on debug as requested, rebooted twice, suspended the Vero, then resumed the Vero.

Log uploaded:

https://paste.osmc.tv/isodanisam

FYI, when I rebooted the Vero, it shut off the AVR (but not the TV) both times AND turned it back on after the reboot. Suspending the Vero did NOT turn off the AVR (or the TV). This just gets stranger and stranger.

Any ideas for a solution? Did the log upload provide any insight?

I was hoping someone who knows more about CEC, maybe @darwindesign, would pick this up.

I was also hoping to see your settings for CEC in the logs but it doesn’t seem to print them. I just did a quick test with Vero connected to just a TV with settings:

• Switch source to this device on startup
  • Devices to power on: TV
  • Devices to power off: TV
  • Devices to also put in standby mode: ticked

Everything else unticked, Ignore or None. That works as expected on powering Vero off/on (TV goes into standby). If I just suspend Vero, TV stays on. If I wake up Vero when TV is on standby, TV wakes up. If I put the TV in standby with its own remote, Vero is suspended and both wake up again with either the power button on the TV or pressing any button on the OSMC remote.

With my AVR, IIRC I had to tell the TV to put the AVR in standby when it went into standby. They both turn off now when I longpress the Home button.

If you turn on component logging for libCEC and re-boot, that seems to print a load of messages from the CEC bus. That may give you some clues.

On your TV you should probably have some CEC setting to control power sync. You will want that enabled. On the Marantz in the Video ->HDMI setup settings (I didn’t check the manual but am assuming it is similar to my Denon) you will need “HDMI control” set to “on” and “power off control” set to “all”. With this you should get the TV sending out on/off commands to connected devices when it switches power state. In Kodi you will want to set CEC to power only the TV as @grahamh showed above. If you set it to send commands to both TV and AVR you are likely to get odd results like the AVR turning off and then the TV turning it back on again because the TV sent a power toggle instead of an explicit power state.

Also note that when you are switching around CEC settings and equipment there can be issues where CEC goes a bit wonky. Best practice is to disconnect all equipment from the wall for a couple minutes to reset the CEC state.

Closing the loop on this. It’s now fixed. The issue was I had the Vero, AVR, and TV all set to turn each other on/off. I assumed (wrongly) such settings would not interfere with one another. Now I have the Vero set to turn on/off the TV and the TV set to turn on/off the AVR and everything works. Volume control through the Vero remote works again as well.

Thank you! Your information was the key to solving this. I’m guessing devices were getting conflicting (or multiple) on/off commands from various devices and stupidly deciding to ignore all of them. HDMI CEC is as annoyingly half-baked as ever, but that’s no fault of OSMC/Vero. Indeed, the Vero was the only part of this equation that acted as expected.

2 Likes