HDR Banding issue

Turns out round1 solved my banding issue. Still visible from a foot away but much narrower bands so it looks like a perfect gradient from 10 feet away. Thanks for the help with the callbacks configuration folks!

Edit-round1 was the fix for me to my Visio panel. Edited from round0 to round1 above.

2 Likes

Great! It’s not a perfect solution but until we can set it by default it’s an ok workaround.

Not perfect, but elegant none the less. Thanks again!

One last question on the callbacks configuration. I’m just putting in the one line command vs the scrip that was posted earlier with the sleep variable. Should I use the script?

If it works just running the line then all is good. I run the script as I has it setup like that already to fix an earlier issue

Ok cool. Didn’t know if the sleep variable was necessary or not. Thanks

Mule seems to think it is but I havent tested myself. I had it previously as it takes some time to initialize video but don’t know if it affects the dither setting. Have you tried just the line?

Yes, I’m currently using just the line directly in the callbacks command field. Seems to work just fine. There is always a 500ms or so delay related to the resolution change anyway so I don’t think it is entirely necessary for my setup. It definitely cleaned up the gradient changes in scenes with sky and clouds like in Oblivion 4K UHD rip. I’m definitely happy even if this is a bit of a kludge fix. Well done

Without sleep it did not work everytime I started playing a video. Maybe because I did not set a delay after resolution switch in kodi settings.

Ok that makes sense. It seems to be working quite well at any rate!

Great :slight_smile: i guess you can do sleep 1 ; echo stuff as well straight from callbacks

If I find it necessary, I will do just that.

@sam_nazarko… is the Banding Issue now fixed in the latest march build ? For the first time i see also Banding in “Despicable Me” with the first march build!

Not yet.

We know how to resolve this now but there is a timing issue which is preventing us from fixing this without manual intervention. Rest assured – this is being worked on promptly and once I have some progress I will make it available here.

Sam

So what is the best manual intervention at this time? Start the movie and type

echo round1 >/sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/debug in the shell

doesn´t work for me, the banding at blue sky in “Despicable Me” isn´t gone…

• Are you in 10-bit mode?
  • Is the film HDR?
  • Did you run this as root?
  • Is your device up to date?

Does dmesg show feedback after you run this command?

Are you in 10-bit mode? --> the 2018.02-1 update has the “echo “444,10bit” | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr” command build in?! i have this also in the rc.local!

Is the film HDR? --> yes!

Did you run this as root? --> yes!

Is your device up to date? --> i have installed the 2018.02-1 (not the 2018.03-2 update) - does the command " sudo echo round1 >/sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/debug" also work with this build?

Does dmesg show feedback after you run this command? --> what feedback? After type in this command the only feedback is a new line in the shell…

You need to update. Then you should see some effects

Ok… will do that… is there any way to automate the command via startscript or something? To start a movie in the homecinema, put on the pc, logon to the vero and type in the command every movie again isn´t very usefull!

And is the 10-bit command in the rc.local also necessary after install the february or march update?

Well I assume this is exactly doing that.