HDR Movie Letterbox Colors

You have spent hours explaining your problem and didn’t think to just try selecting ‘yes’? OSMC is like any other operating system - if you can see the dialog then you are not going to lose the display when you select ‘yes’ - the system is already in the selected resolution. The time for which you get a blank screen depends to some extent on your display. 5 secs does seem rather long.

@wesk05 is right. Something I discovered yesterday, hence my recommendation, but is as yet unexplained. You should not at the moment use an interlaced mode for the GUI. Kodi will not switch to an appropriate resolution for a video (‘adjust refresh rate’ in the Settings->Player menu) when an interlaced mode is set. You were therefore watching 4k video at 1080i. Now you have helped pinpoint this issue we will see what can be done about that. It probably needs attention by Team Kodi.

It is strange that a new Vero4k should default to 1080i on startup. It’s a pity you got this combination of circumstances as a new user. As far as I know, the only way that could happen is if you fired it up first connected to an old screen that does not support 1080p.

@bmillham’s point is relevant. I noticed your video is tagged as 1:2.4 aspect ratio but 1608 pixels high (3840/2.4 = 1600) and I spent some time yesterday trying to see if that odd picture height was the problem. The only letterboxed videos I have are 1600 high. To me, that discrepancy indicates a poor rip. OSMC does it’s best to accommodate these things but can’t cater for everything. Anyway, in the end that wasn’t the problem. You said the problem occurs only with ‘HDR’ video but I suspect the real determinant is if the video is not 2160 high (as reported by mediainfo).

So please set your screen resolution to 1080p, set ‘Adjust refresh rate’ to ‘On start/stop’ and you will be able to enjoy 4k video in correct resolution and refresh rate with black bars top and bottom.

If that doesn’t solve it, you know where to find us.

Indeed – that should do the trick.
@portal99: do let us know if you have any issues.

Cheers

Sam

Thanks to everyone for all your help. I really appreciate it. I am traveling this week but will return home on June 21st and will try your advice then. I have a high-end Denon receiver and a fairly new LG 75" 4K HDR TV so I don’t understand why the Vero would have defaulted to 1080i resolution at set-up since I personally have never used that setting. I have a Roku Ultra, an Amazon Fire Stick, an LG 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player and a Kodi-based HTPC hooked up to this system and I have not had any display resolution issues with them.

One of the first things I tried was to reset the display resolution in the Vero OSMC settings. However I got a total black screen displayed with all other resolutions, so I assumed the Vero did not support them and was hesitant to accept a black screen as a new resolution. I was concerned I would not be able to recover from a black screen. I have worked with a large number of other computer and video devices and they all have displayed an actual sample of each screen resolution. I don’t understand why my Vero would display a black screen for all other resolutions (other than 1080i) and then ask if I wanted to change to that resolution.

Anyway, I will be back home on June 21st will set the resolution to 1080p regardless and make sure the refresh rate is set to ‘On start/stop’. Actually I think I already set the refresh rate to ‘On start/stop’ but I will verify.

Thanks again to everyone. I will let you know how it goes. I can’t imagine I have spent so much of my time, and wasted so much of this forum’s time, on something that could have been solved this simply.

You have exposed two bugs so your time has not been wasted, thank you!

OK, I set the resolution to 1080p and a total black screen was displayed for about 5 seconds, and then a screen asked if I would like to keep this change: ‘No’ or ‘Yes’. I clicked on ‘Yes’.

I then set the ‘Adjust refresh rate’ to ‘On start/stop’.

And now all 16 of my 4K HDR 10-bit Atmos movies play perfectly.

So the problem all along was that the Vero OSMC box set the default resolution as 1080i rather than 1080p.

Out of curiosity I went back to the display settings and clicked on “Reset above settings to default” and the display settings changed back to 1080i.

I am still puzzled about this:

(1) In the initial setup of the Vero 4K OSMC box, why did it automatically set the default resolution as 1080i rather than 1080p? My Denon AVR and LG TV were both 4K HDR compliant.

(2) Why did the multicolored letterbox bar only appear on 4K HDR 10-bit movies and not on 4K movies that were not HDR 10-bit?

(3) Also, why did the multicolored letterbox bar only appear at the bottom and not in the top letterbox bar of 4K HDR 10-bit widescreen movies?

Hopefully my experience with these anomalies will help future users to quickly fix this issue should they have the same problem.

Many thanks to everyone on this forum who responded with help and suggestions, and special thanks to those that proposed the 1080p and refresh rate solution.

We’ll look into that. Shouldn’t happen

Please check the resolution of these movies. I suspect the HDR ones are 3840 x 1600 (approx) but the non-HDR ones are 3840x2160 (ie the letterbox is burned into the video, not generated by Vero). Please confirm.

Something to do with the interlacing.

Thanks for the feedback.

This is in response to grahamh regarding the video resolution of my 4K movies.

I now realize that full 4K video resolution is 3840x2160 (or 4096x2160) and that 3840x1600 is a 4K widescreen resolution encoded primarily for ultrawide computer monitors.

As I mentioned before I have 24 4K Atmos movies: 16 are 4K HDR 10-bit and 8 are 4K but not HDR 10-bit.

I checked all 24 4K movies with MediaInfo.

The 16 4K HDR movies are all 3840x1600 (approx.) and all displayed the pulsing multicolored letterbox bar at the bottom at the Vero 4K default 1080i setting. I am a little surprised by this consistent resolution since the movies were obtained from different sources. Also, if I press the [OK] button on the Vero remote while these movies are playing a menu bar should appear in the bottom black letterbox bar showing symbols for Back, Pause, Stop, Next, Video Settings, Audio Settings, Subtitle Settings & Bookmarks. For all these 4K HDR 10-bit movies this menu bar is ‘masked’ by the flashing color letterbox bar so that it is impossible to see or adjust any of these settings.

Of the 8 4K movies that were not HDR 10-bit: 6 are 3840x1600 (approx.) and 2 are 3840x2160. However, all 8 of these movies played perfectly at the Vero 4K default 1080i setting (no pulsing multicolored letterbox bar at the bottom). It seems somewhat of a mystery why the 6 at 3840x1600 did not display the multicolored letterbox bar in the same way as the 4K HDR movies at the same resolution. Plus, if I press the [OK] button on the Vero remote while any of these movies are playing the menu bar appears as it should in the bottom black letterbox bar showing symbols for Back, Pause, Stop, Next, Video Settings, Audio Settings, Subtitle Settings & Bookmarks.

I hope this information will be helpful in diagnosing these resolution issues. Let me know if I can help further.

In the meantime I am now enjoying the Vero 4K+ in its full 4K Atmos glory. Thank you.

Yes. Interesting indeed. Thank you.

No 3840x1600 is just cropped black bars like the “Warez” Scene did with there encodes :wink: i would use untouched sources and not “encodes” from the Internet.

anything done to this problem? using non interlaced output and hdr 4k videos gives the colored letterbox last time i checked a couple of months ago.

The OP’s issue was solved here by changing the UI to progressive. Nobody in this thread posted that they had the issue otherwise. If you can reproduce this issue, and you have verified that your UI is not running in interlaced mode, then please turn on debug logging, reproduce, then post some logs in a new thread.

i have to run my ui in interlaced mode to not get the colorized postbox on hdr material. i’ll take a look at it in a couple of days and see if i can get some logs. iv’e also tried to get logs of why cec stops working when i select my projector as output from the receiver (works with tv selected) but nothing interesting what i could find there but that’s another topic :slight_smile:

As explained above, if your ui is interlaced, refresh rate switching does not work. I don’t think Kodi have fixed that yet.

1 Like