HDR not being detected by TV

Just noticed that when starting a UHD HDR movie or TV episode, my TV is not detecting HDR , the TV status show bt.709…if I leave it playing and manually reselect the HDMI input, HDR is detected, the TV status correctly shows bt.2020

Its been a while since I played any HDR content so im not sure when this problem started.

https://paste.osmc.tv/tohixewahi

Any ideas?

Was the log posted when the TV was successfully displaying HDR or not?

When I first played the episode, HDR was not detected, then after a few seconds I manually enabled it by reselecting the HDMI input on the TV Sam.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but when HDR doesn’t work, and when it does, can you confirm that you’re playing the same file (so as not to introduce further variables)

Cheers

Sam

Yeah its the same file Sam.
Every HDR file I own is doing the same thing, HDR is never autodetected by the TV, but will always be detected if I reselect the HDMI input on the TV.

Im 100% sure the TV used to auto detect the HDR file a short while ago, exactly when this stopped working I cant pinpoint unfortunately.

It’s been an issue since Leia. I think it is switching to HDR but not immediately on start of the stream.

Can you check with cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config after the vid has been playing a bit?

Urggh, that kinda makes sense.
I will check shortly, do you mean without me re-selecting the HDMI input on the TV Graham?

Yes.

**osmc@osmc** : **~** $ cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config

AVIF VIC: 0

VIC: 93 3840x2160p24hz

Colour depth: 10-bit

Colourspace: YUV444

Colour range: limited

EOTF: HDR10

YCC colour range: limited

PLL clock: 0xc000029a, Vid clock div 0x000b0000

Aspect ratio: 16:9/full frame

Audio config: on

3D config: off

OK, so we are sending HDR10. Can you detect if your TV is actually playing it as HDR10? It may only report on-screen when there is a mode change, not when there is a metadata change (InfoFrame).

Im not sure if I can do that, my TV isn’t very advanced and gives limited information in the status page.

I can just press i on the remote and it tells me the resolution and PQ/HLG if present.

Anyway, it’s pretty obvious if the colours are wrong.

So it is available?

Sorry Graham, had to pop out for work, ill be back in an hour or so.

Right, so from what I can tell, the colours look fine, even though the status screen isn’t reporting it correctly.

Whats strange is if I leave the status page up on the TV, and use the web interface to control the Vero, when I start a HDR film, the status page correctly updates, yet if I use the TV remote to control the Vero, like I normally would, and then bring up the status screen, more often than not it will incorrectly report the HDR status.

I definitely remember the HDR logo used to come up when starting a HDR movie, but as you say, it could well be the change to Leia introduced this.

Indeed. It shouldn’t be a problem in practice but we’ll see if we can make it work how it used to without introducing more delay to the resolution switching.

That’d be great Graham, cheers for your assistance on this, Im confident its now just the TV reporting it incorrectly rather than the TV not detecting HDR.

Just for closure on this issue, after the latest OSMC update my TV is now behaving exactly as it used to…when I start playing HDR content I get the ‘HDR’ notification on my TV every time now.

1 Like