HDR Slight flickering (Workaround available)

422,12bit didnt work, I just got a very lime tinted screen each time I tried that colourspace.

This is what I get from cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/dc_cap
444,10bit
444,8bit
422,10bit
422,8bit
rgb,10bit
rgb,8bit

I’m plugged in via an Amp, I might try and see if directly connecting helps at all.

Try directly first, then we can work backwards from there

Tried again while directly connected to the screen rather than via the amp, set ‘422,12bit’ in rc.local and rebooted and again got a very lime tinted screen.

cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/dc_cap
420,10bit
420,8bit
444,10bit
444,8bit
422,10bit
422,8bit
rgb,10bit
rgb,8bit

Is there any difference if you set kodi to 2160p60/24 when you have the 422,12bit?

OK, so setting the UI resolution of Kodi to 2160p/60 with 422,12bit set works but as soon as I play a 4k HDR 24fps clip it returns to lime tinted.

Echoing 2160p60hz420 to /sys/class/display/mode returns it to the expected colours.
Echoing 2160p60hz to /sys/class/display/mode is lime.
Echoing 2160p24hz to /sys/class/display/mode is lime.

Lime == fine?

Can you chuck me a log for this?
I should be able to make your TV prefer 12-bit, and as such, always use it. Might take a couple of rounds of testing though, provided you’re willing.

Sam

No lime as in the screen is very green as if no blue channel is being displayed. I’ll provide a log as soon as I can, do you just want me to restart and play a file, is that enough?

That’ll do.

Sam

Any news on this? No difference in October build.
I’ve tested on another LG (65b6) and the flickering is there as well. I also bought a shield which doesn’t have the flickering, hdr or not. It however has some other issues (like randomly powering off and not being able to dither/change color space). Whichever video mode I chose on the shield it’s without flicker so I guess it’s a lg/vero comparability issue or something.

Hi @Martorias

I’ll send you a PM about some developments and work on this shortly.

Our goal is to have Vero 4K as the defacto HDR device in the immediate future.

Sam

Awesome! I’ll be glad to help try stuff out if needed.

Hi, just bought Vero 4k and I also get flickering in hdr videos with my LG65B6V. Second problem : framerate drops with large h265 playback, sounds stops, unwatchable. OSMC update didn’t help.

Hope you’ll fix these issues soon, not satisfied at the moment.

Hi,

Please provide logs:

Thanks Tom.

Hi, regarding playback issues, how are you playing your media? I’m using NFS fstab mounted Nas and it’s no problem.

1. FIxed in this month’s update.
  2. Shouldn’t be happening; and as the others have said, we need a bit more info.

Sam

Hi Sam, this sounds great and I’m eager to try it out. Is the update available on the jessie-devel main?

1 Like

Hi Sam, thanks for quick feedback. When will this update be published ?
For the other issue I’ll make more test, get the log and post it here.

9 posts were split to a new topic: 4k files stutter when played from NAS

Hi,

This is a bit of a long shot but I wondered if those with an LG tv could switch on noise reduction in the picture mode settings to see if it fixes the problem. The reason I’m posting is that I’m currently using Infuse on an Apple TV 4k and notice a similar flickering although this occurs in dark scenes on 24hz content on SDR content. Common traits however are that switching to 60hz fixes the issue and the flicker is also visible when pausing.

I noticed that switching noise reduction to low or auto makes the problem vanish so thought it was worth a shot for those persevering with the Vero 4k?

Hi I just tried with a 60fps 4k hdr video, which has flickering in the skies (the crawling dslr like) and changing noise or mpeg noise reduction did nothing :frowning: