HDR/tone mapping

Hi, I just purchased a new Vero 4k+ to pair with a new JVC NX7 projector that I am also waiting to receive. I am brand new to the whole HDR/UHD world and am finding it to be a fair bit more complicated than I had expected, but the Vero 4k+ seems to be the closest to having all of the capabilities that I was hoping for without reverting back to solid BluRay/UHD discs with a Panasonic 820 or the pricy Oppo 203.

With this new projector I am wondering if passing MaxCLL/FALL data has been implemented for the Vero or is in the works as the tone mapping will be critical to get the most out of my HDR movies. I probably should have asked before purchasing, but is there anything else that might limit the capabilities of this projector by using the Vero? I am committed now, but would like to prepare myself for any unexpected surprises.

Looking forward to getting to know the new Vero and the projector. Any pointers or other useful information is much appreciated.

Bear in mind that a significant number of releases do not have MaxCLL/MaxFALL at all. We try to fall back to sane values if this metadata is missing.

Make sure your device is up to date when you receive it for the best experience

So if the metadata is there it is passed to the display then?

Currently: not yet (re. MaxCLL/Fall)

I have a JVC X790 and will be upgrading to the NX7. I’m very much interested in a small, focused Plex box fully capable of streaming all formats. maxCLL/FALL is required for the new models. Really hope this can come ASAP to consider this box.

It’s being actively worked on.

Sam

Do you have any ETA about this ?

I’ve realized that some issues when comparing the same file with different players could come from this.

No ETA.

What players and titles are you using?
A good number of titles have no MaxFALL/MaxCLL data at all; and a few players use static meta data (i.e. AppleTV); which doesn’t respect mastering data.

Some test files trying to calibrate contrast/brightness using the internal LG player vs Vero. Still a bit confused, so learning and investigating. I’ve just discovered this could be a potential source of non-correct perceived contrast/brightness.

It seems that I’m not the only who’d like to see this feature and one user reported about 60% of his movies have that metadata in the files (it’s almost a year old). And googling you can find a l serious amount of variability in those parameters from UHD releases.

And in Nvidia shield forums it’s also an incoming feature in the next update.

It’ll be great to get a confirmation by OSMC team that there isn’t any Amlogic HW limitation to implement this feature in the Vero 4K and if you really have scheduled resources (time) to implement it. I honestly think that would solve lots of contrats/brightness/tone issues/inconsistencies which are eventually found by users when dealing with HDR content.

Thanks.